News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Splash Guard Installation

Started by Matt I CLC #21633, January 10, 2005, 03:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt I CLC #21633

Good day, CLC!  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to install new splash guards on the inner fenders?  I know from the factory, they were stapled.  Is there a pneumatic stapler that can be used for this?  Any other ideas?  Thank you in advance, Matt

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

I had no way to staple my new ones in, so I drilled out every other staple hole and used small rivets. You will need to use some sort of metal washer on the rubber side, or the rivet will not hold. Mine have stayed solidly in place for many years, and it is only noticeable to the most diehard authenticity fanatic.

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

Restoration Specialties and Supply in PA, phone 814 467-9842 sells the staples.  This is not an easy job but it can be done with a hammer, pliers and backing dolly or bar.  It is a slow tough job.  Practice on a few first to get the technique.

Bill Ingler 7799

I did my 41 as well as few areas on my 47 as Brad describes.You will learn to really hate staples before you are finished but if you take your time the finished product is worth the aggravation.

Virgil Perkins #19943

Another option: I used 1/16" brass rod and made my own "staples". My machinist cousin made a small die which we used to bend the rod after we cut it to the desired size. And then the fun part of installation, but not as bad as sticking your pinkies with real staples. An additional benefit is a smooth fastener surface, which wont catch cleaning rags wiping off the inner fender panels. After installation, I painted them satin black with the panel and they look very close to "authentic"

Matt I

Virgil and Brad,

Thank you both for the advice.  When you used new staples (or the brass rod), you obviously used the holes that were existing in the inner fender from the old staples.  Do you have any tips on how you were able to line up the holes in the fender with the new splash guard?  Also, what tool(s) did you use to poke a small hole in the splash guard so you can push the staple or rod through?

I thank you again for the advice and look forward to your replies.  

Matt

Bob Kazawic

I am in the process of restoring my 1940 -5019 and was wondering where i can get some of the splash guard material, the info on the attachment is helpful.
Bob

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Bob-- You can get the material from Restoration Specialites Supply 814-467-9842. They list the material as masticated rubber an carry it in several thickness. I also think Steele Rubber has it listed on Page 100 of their 2003 Catalog and call it by the same name. I bought mine from Restoration.

Virgil Perkins #19943

Matt, as brief as possible: Two man operation, car up in air on jack stands or lift. One man under fender, outside of panel and the other under car working from engine side. C-clamp splash guard near front end, leaving room to manuver. Use a small punch or ice pick type tool to locate pair of holes and then proceed to make holes in rubber, insert one end of staple in hole in rubber from the engine side, push with solid object (screw driver handle) and outside guy bends staple down to panel, after both ends of staple are through. You should be able to locate the corresponding hole by lining the staple up on the rubber and then poke thru from engine side outward with your punch tool or with the staple itself. Or, punch both holes for a staple and push staple thru holes you made, if they stay visable in the rubber. It is time consuming and requires break time to R & R. We used a pair of needle nose pliars to brace the panel while pushing staples thrugh the rubber (gotta brace on one side while pushing staples). You may find a better way after doing a few. I did do some by myself, but dediced to wait for help, remembering that misery loves company. Hope this makes sense & helps. VP
Not responsible for correct spelling.