News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Autolite horns on a 38 LaSalle?

Started by Bill Bickle 15098, February 15, 2005, 07:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bickle 15098

I recently bought a barn full of LaSAlle parts.  Among them was a pair of Autolite horns (HT 4007 and HT 4008) with L shaped trumpets with 38 LaSalle printed in chalk on them.  If they are not for a LaSalle, what might they belong to?  Did GM use Autolite products?

Robert Koch 21150

Did that barn have any horn ring parts in it? I have some of the pieces to make the horn blow, need the actual switch.

Barry Wheeler #2189

Auto-Lite is (at least now,)Ford!  Simply having  LaSalle chalked on them probably means that they were removed from a LaSalle that someone liked the looks of them and put them on after production. GM parts, including accessories in 1938 were Delco.

Doug Houston

Auto-Lite was a supplier to many car companies, other than General Motors. All of GM electrical equipoment was supplied by Delco-Remy, Guide Lamp Div. or delco Radio Division.

While the issue here is not  radios, from 1932 through 1939, Cadillac bought their radios from Wells-Gardner, with the 1938 Standard radio, built by RCA. Starting in 1940, Delco supplied Cadillacs radios.

You will find Autro-Lite products on Chrysler, Packard, and Hudson for sure, plus others that Id need to research. I think that Ford made his own horns, as most of Fords electrical equipment was in-house manufacture.

Now, I do know that the Auto-Lite 90 degree horn trumpets were used on Chrysler in 1955 (6 Volt) and 1956 (12 Volt). Those were the low note ones, and the companion high note horns were a conventional clamshell style. In past years, I (and evidently many others), bought those horns off of the 56 Chryslers in the junkyards and installed them on my modern cars (Cadillacs). They were excellent horns, and the closest to air horns that anyone ever made in an electric horn. They outblasted the Delco OEM horns.

Bill Bickle

Sorry Robert, I cant help with that one.

BIll

Bill Bickle

BIll Bickle

I thought that that might be the case. Thanks Barry.

Bill