News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 vs. Drum Brake Master Cylinder Question

Started by alfredo barrenechea, February 23, 2005, 12:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfredo barrenechea

Hi,
Is there a difference between the 69 (disc brake) master cyclinder and the 61-68 (drum brake) master cylinder?
I do know there is a bolt pattern difference, but what about reservior size?  
I have heard that I can take a 69-76 metering block and use that.

Im converting my 64 to disc and Im trying to figure out the master cylinder side of things now.

thanks for any help.
-alfredo

Gene Roqueplot CLC #19950

Hello Al
I have not done this yet but have a 66 that i want to do! I remember reading that the rear wheel cylinders are different on a disc brake car. So i think that would be the reason the master cylinder is different. Go to the auto parts store and have them look up both master cylinders and see if the part # is different!
Take Care
Gene

Porter 21919

I use the websites to look up part #s and cross reference part #s.

http://www.napaautoparts.com TARGET=_blank>www.napaautoparts.com

http://www.rockauto.com TARGET=_blank>www.rockauto.com

If you have a good parts counter guy you work with all the time or you can trust then ask him.

Porter, 66 & 67 CDV with most all parts interchangeable

Ed Mobley

The all wheel drum brake versions have a residual pressure valve (needed for drum brakes) on both parts of the master cylinder.  The disc bake version only has the valve on the rear section.

FWIW, I used an all wheel drum booster and m/c from a 68 Cadillac to convert my 60 to a dual reservoir setup (for safety).  If you search on my name, I posted the details of the conversion about a year ago to the general forum.

Ed