News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

how do I remove water spots from glass

Started by Brett 21441, March 21, 2005, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett 21441

anyone know the best chemical and/or abrasive methods for removing tough water spots from glass?

Thanks,

Brett

Porter 21919

George

David #19063

Brett,

Best way I have found is get a spray bottle and mix 50-50 with distilled water and vinegar, but you can try 4 parts distilled water to 1 part vinegar first.

If really tough, use straight vinegar on a rag and wipe clean.  

Then you can use Windex to remove any smearing.

This also works for waterspots on chrome bumpers as well.

The water spots are generally calcium carbonate deposits, hard water.

David

Dave MacGregor #18998

Hi,

There are some glass polishes out there for just that use, one example of a vendor is Griots Garage, but if you may already have something in your kitchen, or perhaps hand right now that may be useful.  Thats Coke!

Seriously!  I was recommended that a long time ago by the owner of a Chevrolet Dealership.  For over 20 years I had to live with hard water and almost always got those spots.  (Theyre formed from deposits of calcium in the water.)  They would also form on my chrome on occasion.

First try to use the Coke straight and sparingly out of the bottle or can with a linen dish rag or clean cotton shop rag, but if that doesnt work, then you can use a tiny little bit of Bon Ami with it.  Once youre through, immediately rinse it off, being especially careful to make sure it doesnt get on the paint.  Coke can spot paint if it sits too long, kinda etching the paint not unlike a bird dropping can do.

Another thing you may want to try if you dont have any Coke around the house, is vinegar.  Works almost as well, but may need a little more effort.  You may surely have to use a little Bon Ami with it.  Again like the Coke, make sure the vinegar doesnt sit on the paint too long.

Once youre all through de-spotting your windows and rinsing them off. I use an ammonia free window cleaner with a linen dish rag remove the streaks.

One more tip, speaking of rags, if you ever machine wash and dry your car rags, never use fabric softener because youll almost always get streaks upon streaks on your car from the softener residue in the fibers.  (Trust me on that one, I used to have an all black Jeep with deep black tinted glass that showed all my washing flaws if I wasnt careful.)

Once youre all through, reward yourself with a cold, ...............................................beer!

(Bet you though I was gonna say Coke didnt you?)

Later and Good Luck,

Dave