News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Hydroboost questions

Started by denise 20352, April 08, 2005, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

Where do hydroboost systems normally leak?  I had to add fluid to mine and I thought it was a hose, but I cant see a leak in any of them.  There is some oily stuff on the firewall, but I dipped my finger in it and it didnt have that sweaty armpit smell of transmission fluid.  I think it may be oil that blew back there when my breather came loose last trip.

Another question, can I replace the brake portion of the hydroboost system with a complete brake system from a 1978 Deville?  I just happen to have the whole thing with new master cylinder and booster, so I was wondering if that was an option, maybe do away with hydroboost and go to normal power steering.  Would it be enough volume and pressure for commercial chassis?

thanks

-densie

Eric Kahn clc 20839

My 76 eldo has hydroboost brakes
I have been told that the main reason for this is that the smog engine in the car does not develop enough vacuum under load to insure good braking so they went to the more expensive hydroboost system

your best bet would be to find a vacuum booster off of an earlier fleetwood or commercial chassis to insure enough brake boost, the 78 cars (except eldorados) are at least 1000 pounds lighter than the 76 and older cars

Eric Kahn clc 20839

Also, cadillacs do not use tranny fluid in the power steering, that was a ford thing, unless you have been adding tranny fluid, the fluid on the firewall could be your leak, mine is leaking from the return hose, one of those things I need to fix

Steve Preston #16375

More than likely its one of the 3 hoses. They should ALL be replaced! However, theres a reason Cadillac installed the drain pan under the booster, cause the body can leak too.

Best thing to do is clean everything up real well. The hoses & their fittings, the complete body of the booster and the drain pan. Start the car up and swing the steering wheel from full left to full right while pumping the brakes. Do this about 4-5 times and then look for signs of the leak.

I recently replaced my power steering pump, all hoses, master cylinder & the booster. Not hard to do but the booster was expensive. When you remove the master cylinder from the booster pay close attention to the push rod and spring. There should be a plastic washer on the booster side of the rod. That was my problem, mine was disintegrated. After searching for that needle in the haystack, I finally called A!-Cardone, the folks that rebuild the booster, and they sent me a rod with the washer on it.