News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 Update (from last September)

Started by Rob Gerace #16100, April 12, 2005, 12:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Gerace #16100

Ok everyone, I finally took the 66 SDV out of storage.  Im now attempting(again) to figure out why it started running crappy suddenly, on my move from Oklahoma City, to Dayton, OH.

I took it in to the shop I work at today, and we hooked the brake booster line up to the smoke machine.  The only place smoke where emerged was the carburetor, and the breather filter on the oil fill tube(which stopped when I pinched the PCV valve hose).  So, it looks like I dont have a vacuum leak.  I think were down to the carburetor as the culprit, since my compression is good, and ignition system is operating the way it should be, and my timing/dwell are good.  

So, Im going to call up the carb shop that isnt too far from here, and see if they can help me out.  Ill keep everyone up whats going on.  I cant wait to get it running right, because its getting embarassing pulling away from stoplights almost as though Im not hitting the gas at all, along with random surging sometimes.  

Rob
66 SDV

John Olenchalk #17776

Had the same problem with my 66 Eldo- until I had the carb rebuilt for $400

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

Carolina Carburetor had a rebuilt Carter AFB on the shelf, waiting for my call. It was in my hands 3 days later, just about $300 + exchange. 30 minutes to install, a few very minor teaks to fast idle and mixture, and my 61 has never run so smooth or stink-free since I have had it.
I have also heard similar good things about Culver City Carburetor.