News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

38 Lasalle

Started by Art Laing, February 21, 2005, 05:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Laing

Just purchased a 1938 Lasalle coupe out of 30 yrs. inside storage. Needs body off resto, but 99percent complete. The car is a 2-4 pass. coupe (has the small jump seats in the rear) Style number 38-5027. Motor #2277521.I quess my question is how many coupes (5027) were built in 1938 and if restored, will the car criuse highway speeds? (60mph) Just retired, would like to  criuse and do shows with the wife. Enjoy traveling, wondered if the Lasalle would be the car to do it in? Thanks for any help out there I can get on these questions.  Art

baxter culver # 17189

Congratulations on your purchase.  The only significant mechanical difference between the LaSalle and Cadillac in 1938-40 is the size of the motor.  The Cad engine has a slightly larger bore, which makes the engine 346 cu in rather than the 322 cu in the LaSalle.  If you are doing a major engine rebuild, bore the block to Cad specs.  As to roadability:  I took my unrestored 39 Cadillac 60S on the 2004 Driving tour, a 2700 mile--two-week--journey from Calif to Colorado and back.  We were touring with another couple, also from California, and also in a 39 Cad 60S.  The drive was at highway speeds across desert, high mountain passes, and very enjoyable.  I would do the trip again.  These cars were built to be touring cars.  They still are.  Oh, there was a Porsche 911 Turbo that passed us (blew by) out there on US 50 between Elko and Austin, but so what?  Most of the time was spent between 55 and 65 mph, enjoying the scenery.  
Fix it and drive it.  Youll love it.

John Washburn CLC #1067

Art,

Ive restored a 37 LaSalle, same body, just a different hood configuration.

Before you jump into this just understand that the restoration should be because you love the car. The money you put into the restoration will be more than you can sell the car for. Also, the Cadillac same year, same car (almost) will be worth a bunch more than the LaSalle.

I like the LaSalles and would love to see you restore it. But if you have never done anything like this, do your home work.

If I can offer any assitance drop me a note or give me a call.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Colorado

Bill Sullivan

My bible, the CLC LaSalle, Cadillacs Companion Car (I suggest you buy one, full of great LaSalle Info), production for the 38 5027 was 2711 units.  Not very many.

I looked at a 38 coupe like you describe in New Mexico a couple of months ago.  I wonder if yours is the same one.  It was a very complete car, though dirty from years of storage.  I did not buy it but only because I have more cars than I need or can afford.

I have two LaSalles (40 and 37).  I have driven the 40 across the country twice, it has no problem going 60 - 65 mph.  It is smooth and comfortable at those speeds.  The 38 is essentially identical mechanically.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Bill
Albuquerque, NM

JIM CLC # 15000

02-22-05
Art, congrations on your purchase.

I have to assume the figure of 2,711 to be correct as I have seen that number several times. Also, in 1938, Cadillac only made 16,400 total cars, not a large number.
Some minor points, the coupe is listed in the sales lit. as a 5 passenger coupe.
For only $50.00 you can have a copy of the build-sheet, plus some other stuff from Cadillac, shows which Cad. dealer the car was origional shipped to. Go to CLC home page for info.on obtaining history of car. You will need S/N for them to search by.
A word of caution, inspect and rebuild the brakes prior to anything else.
The La Salle had a 322CID engine, Cad. had a 346CID. No difference in exterior appearence of the engines. (I have a 47 in my 38)
Yes, it will cruise at 60 or 60+ MPH all day.
Good Luck, Join the CLC, Jim

Doug Houston

I concur with all of the above. I have had my 38-60S for 45 years and have driven it on some long trips, he first being when I drove it home in 1960 from New York to Deroit via the NY thruway and through Canada, about 750 miles. I had owned it less than 24 hours when I started.

Those cars were (are) great highway cars. It nust be kept in mind that highways in the days before 1940 were slower roads than we know today. The Pa. Turnpike changed that, and with that change came lower (numerical) ratio rear axles. Before the limited access roads, axle ratios caused the engine to run at a higher RPM for a given speed, enebling the engine to operate at a somewhat ideal torque/HP speed. Wih the advent of the higher speed highways, where you could cruise 60+ MPH all day, the older axle ratios began to run engines above speeds that were higher than they were intended to run for sustained driving. In 1941, Cadillacs axle ratio dropped from slightly over 4:1 to 3.77:1 and 3;36:1 as a no-cost option as an economy ratio. The 3.36 became the standard ratio for the Hydra-Matic models, and these ratios stayed for a long time.

Unfortunately, a 41 and later differential and carrier assembly (commonly called the pig) cant be installed in an earlier axle housing, so the conversion isnt a simple proposition. One of our members in my area has a 36 Cadillac 60 that had the standard axle in it. With highway driving, he was uncomfortable with the engine speeds at 60-65 MPH. He was able to obtain a 41 rear axle, complete with the 3.36 pig in it. He was able to cut off the brake flanges, shorten the housing, re-locate the spring pads, re-atach the brake flanges, shorten the axle shafts and re-machine the tapers...and whatever else was necessary. Hes pleased with the conversion, because the car is now tailored to todays roads, and his engine isnt running excessively hard at turnpike speeds. That conversion wasnt simple or cheap, but its saving an engine from running too hard at modern speeds.

So, the moral of all this is: enjoy the LaSalle on the highway, but dont push it past 55 or 60 MPH on a long run. My 38-60S seems to like those speeds on todays highways. Its power train has had no changes.

One other comment...all of my 41 Cadillacs have the 3.36 axle ratios. Three of them ae Hydra-Matics, and the one with the manual trans  had ths 3.36 axle as ordered on it. They do well at 65 MPH on long runs, as one wouild expect. Id prefer to not push them to 70-75 MPH.

Robert Koch 21150

I have a 1938 5019 (four door sedan). When I brought it from Baltimore to Greensboro, NC I came down US 29 through some amazing mountains and dead flat spaces. I was passed by an elderly gentleman in a circa 1999 Eldo. He looked over and grinned. He mouthed What is it?, I mouthed thirty-eight La Salle. He got a BIG smile on his face and mouthed I had a thirty-nine!. Then he mouthed We are going eighty-five! It was a blast!
I had to add two quarts of water (it holds about seven gallons!)when I got to Greensboro. The water pump had a slow leak, since fixed.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Id be willing to bet that when comparing a La Salle versus a small-series Cadillac of the same year and condition, the La Salles value would be at least as great as the Cadillacs. Of course, this wouldnt apply when comparing a La Salle to a same-year Series 90 Sixteen, Series 75, or even Series 60 Special.

mike

There were only 438 Cadillac Series 60 Coupes built that year which makes it quite a bit more rare. You rarely see Cadillacs for sale, but quite a few Lasalles. I would tend to price the Cadillac slightly higher.