News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

frame rail section replacement

Started by Brett 21441, June 20, 2005, 07:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett 21441

Hello everyone,

The front 24 inches or so of my frame rails are rusty. The rest of the frame and floor is rock-solid. Just this section is rusty.

I am wondering
if anyone has had new sections welded in without removing the body.

I am sure this is possible, just curious if anyone has any experience
with it and if you could point out the caveats.

Chris Bryant #19358

Brett,

What year, make, and model? Unibody subframe? 24  before or after the front crossmember? More info please.

Cheers,

Chris Bryant

Brett 21441

71 Fleetwood
If you lie on your back underneath the car, right behind a front tire a and look up, it is right there.  Hope this helps.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Brett,

Anything is possible, and the impossible just takes a little longer.

Now, a good welder could do the repairs, and it wouldnt be that difficult to do, but the precautions to stop the chassis from developing a Heat and Welding twist are necessary before you perform any cutting and replacing.

Firstly, the vehicle will have to be raised up sufficiently in order to be able to work underneath without too much discomfort and the best method would be to place the car up on tall jackstands.   Then, position jackstands under the chassis in at least eight spots and to ansure that the chassis is completely level, and within factory tolerances.   Positioning jackstands on either side of where the chassis section has to be removed or repaired, so that there is neutral tension in the area.

It is difficult to describe the actual method without filling up the internet, but the rusted section, if not too bad, can either be simply covered over with longer pieces of steel to cover, and enclose the part, or it can be completely cut out and the replacement piece can be folded up in two halves with the top half being welded in first and the bottom half attached next.   This will enable complete welding of the top from inside and underneath and away from the floor.   The replacement pieces should be made longer so that the sides can act like a fishplate and strengthen the total repair.

I have done similar repairs where front suspension attachment brackets have broken away and also chassis cracks.

Repairs like this arent for the novice, and involve a lot of overhead and verticle up welding, and is best done with an Arc Welder.

Dont forget that there may be brake and fuel lines and wiring looms to protect as well.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Doug Houston

I dont know where you are, and your proximity to industrial work is important. There is a place south of me at the North end of Pontiac, Mich.. The name of the palce is Clydes, and he does about any kind of frame work you can name, and Im sure that he does repairs like you need. Thats the kind of place you need to find. Look in the area of town where the trucking terminals are, and thats where the frame repair shops will be.

I rather imagine that, for surgery as you need, it would be smart to take off the front end sheet metal for reasonable access to the job.

Joe Meneghin

Anything is possible if you are patient enough.  I thought I had it bad.  The last 20 inches or so or my 60 convertible are shot and will need to be repaired.  In your particular situation, you will have to be careful with the front alignment.  How do you plan to adress the front end geometry?  Im sure you can understand the importance of having the suspension mounting points be dead on before you start welding.