News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

58 Eldo being turned into...something else?

Started by Gunnar, November 16, 2008, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunnar

http://www.di-customcars.ca/04_1_current___58%20Caddy.php

Guys, I'm not an expert on late 50s Caddys, but isn't this an Eldorado Brougham they're messing with?

Cheers,
Gunnar
CLC 24532
1973 Eldorado Coupe
Gunnar S. Valdimarsson
CLC 24352
1964 Coupe de Ville

David King (kz78hy)

Boy, after reviewing the photos, it was all I could do to keep my breakfast pop tarts down.  To think of taking such a nice example of a rare car and converting it into something so stupid, it is beyond words.  Talk about throwing away money, first for the car, then the work, and when done, it's only fit for the crusher.  I would not have wished this fate for either of my 58 parts cars.

It really is to bad, another Brougham destroyed.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Rick Payton

I  am at a loss for words.... Someone should go to jail for that!!!! what a shame
Rick Payton - President- US Distribution
WWW.FLATJACK.COM

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1955 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1955 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham #590
1959 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1964 Corvette Stingray
1967 Cadillac Coupe Deville
1986 Mercedes Benz 560SL
2006 Cadillac XLR
2013 Cadillac XTS
2015 Cadillac Escalade

Otto Skorzeny

Good Grief! You would think the guy would have purchased a series 62 or something to do this since the fact that it's a brougham won't have any bearing on the final product.

What do you wanna bet he sends the roof to the scrap heap instead of selling it to a brougham restorer?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Forrest, the SS top would not be a great loss. There are several of them that have been saved. Odds are one in a million to get a buyer. Also  a bear to store. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Otto Skorzeny

Well wa-da-ya know? I would have thought finding a top for one of those would be difficult. It still sucks to see one of those cars in such nice condition to begin with butchered beyond recognition.
fward

Jonathan G. Riley

My vote for modified car of the year.  What a waste.

veesixteen

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on November 16, 2008, 01:22:22 PM...butchered beyond recognition

Unfortunately NOT beyond recognition.  There's the rub for us collectors !  If they would turn it into a Ford or Chrysler lookalike, then it wouldn't hurt so much to look at !
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Otto Skorzeny

Talk about a Frankenstein project! Sheesh.

We'll probably see this on ebay someday advertised as Harley Earl's personal project before he retired.
fward

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Joe Manna

Guys,I am the first to admit I am an avid lover and also an owner of a custom car.Being a State colonel for the nations' largest custom car club.But when you take a 58 Brougham and do that to it,than even I am upalled.That is just SACRILIGIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

TJ Hopland

Looks to me like these people build custom cars for people that need wheelchair access. Many nicer cars have been lost for lesser reasons. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I think they specialize in cars for owners who need mental health access. Next car in line is a 53 Eldo! LOL. Bob

35-709

"My vote for modified car of the year.  What a waste."

As a member of the Modified Cadillac & LaSalle Club Chapter I don't think anyone in the chapter would want to vote for this car as "modified car of the year"!  I do believe there would be general agreement however that it is certainly a terrible waste.  We MCLCers do have SOME taste, a modicum of class, and an appreciation for Cadillacs after all!  This car evidences none of that. 

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Quentin Hall Australia

I am trying to think of something polite to say  . . . . It is hard to believe that they could start with a car that was in very good order and condition, let alone the fact that it was a Brougham. The fact that it was a Brougham makes it near criminal. Someone please tell me it was some kind of joke done in photoshop or something.       
               Let's just hope the owner does't also collect Picassos and Pollocks.
                "Oh honey ? . . .  I have a great idea to make a funky montage out of that old Picasso in the foyer"

Stewart Homan

Crass beyond words.

I always thought that no matter what one's situation is in life, people in to old cars, especially Cadillacs were thinking people that understood what it meant to be a custodian of one of these great vehicles.

I guess I thought wrong.

I won't dignify this abomination by talking about it any more.

76eldo

Unbelievable.

Stupidity + money + Cadillac = huge pile of crap when finished.

I was always bad at math...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J Kjerrulf

I kind of like some of it. Not the looks, but the purpose and some of the consequenses:
-A lot of hard to find parts in good condition will be offered, parts we may need one day.
-Someone will feel like a King for a day until his reality comes
-The remaining 58's will be even more unique and perhaps of greater value
-I guess there are people getting paid for the work, money keeps the world go round
-If this project can inspire the next generation to one day restore a car of their own, something is gained

A bit sad they took the easy way to build a Kustom people talk about. The rarest piece they could find - in really swet condition just to save time in the building process - and annoy many Cadillac owners at the same time. They made it.
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Just goes to show that no matter how much money you have , you can't buy good taste !!!!
Phil