News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Possible SO? 1976 Fleetwood Brougham "Half d'Elegance"

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, September 16, 2015, 10:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Another oddball Cadillac I just spotted on eBay:

1976 Fleetwood Brougham with correct d'Elegance vinyl roof on the outside with pillow style seats in the rear only while front seats are standard Brougham cloth seats. "Brougham d'Elegance" signature is present on dash.

Very strange.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Fleetwood-Brougham/351509588680?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003150253%26meid%3D19ff6a4eba76415aa9fac7f0cc00d437%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D131599106747

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddyholic

Eric

We are having our monthly CLC meeting at fastlane next week. I will make it a point to look this one over.

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Small world.  8)

Try to check the body tag if you can.

Thanks Jim.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Gentlemen,

This is unusual. Please post your conclusions after you inspect the car. Now I'm curious too.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Rich S

From the photos, the color of the vinyl roof does not look like the "silver" elk grain padded roof, but rather a flat gray color (which was not an option in '76)--but it could have been painted or re-done, or it may be poor image quality on my computer! My suspicion is the front seat has been changed--but I'll also be curious about what the investigation finds.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

55 cadi

The front seat and carpets/door panel look very worn, especially the seat for being an only 32,000 mile car, I would suspect 132,000 miles or not original seats, but then you have to wonder why the seats were replaced on a low mile car.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

I doubt the steering wheel woodgrain inlay would have survived 132K as well is it did.

Underhood looks pretty sanitary for the mileage as well, which appears not to have been repainted either.

Door panels appear near perfect on this end... ???

Not quite ready to throw it into the 100K club yet.  ;)

Tom Hall 7485

I don't know if you're asking a question about this car, Eric, but I have my doubts about the authenticity of the front seat.

Here's what I wrote in the authenticity manual:

"According to the instructions for Form 5600A for 1976, four types of custom work were unavailable and probably were unavailable throughout the Class 25 period:

(1)  Substitution of [interior] trim for one style of car with that of another..."

This protects the distinctiveness of the model.

With that said, it had been possible earlier in the 1970s to get a Brougham with the front compartment in a color different from that of the rear compartment.  (I know of a Fleetwood 75 with such treatment, and no, the front compartment is not black.  It is red, with a beige rear compartment!)
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

That is the question and hopefully Jim will be able to tell us more after he has seen the car.

Caddyholic

Looks like it sold for $9000 Might not be there on Wednesday.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1962 Coupe Deville

"Reserve Not Met" so hopefully it is still available to be seen.

According to another CLC member, "SO" designation was still being used on the data tag in '76 so that's the million dollar question.

Tom Hall 7485

Eric, I'd like to know which member says "SO" is found on 1976 body plates to indicate a special request and where I might read those comments, so if you'd be kind enough to tell me by personal message, I'd be grateful.  If used at all for MY1976, that code may be limited to certain categories of requests and is something I should research.

My information is that the code "LT" is more likely to be found for special requests for 1976 Cadillacs, on the fifth line, on the right side of the tag.  The LT should be followed by some numerals.

Another possibility is that the code "AM6" may appear on the body ID plate.  It would indicate the standard 60-40 front seat.  If it says "AV7", rather than "AM6", that would be evidence the original seat was the d'Elegance seat.

Special Order Department was not necessarily limited by the prohibitions written on the order form, and I know of a 1975 CDV that received a Brougham seat fabric.  It was LT1539.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

g27g28

I noticed a plaque on the trunk that I can't make out.  It starts with an M and does not look like a dealership advertisement.  Possibly it was altered after production?  Maybe to be driven by a chauffeur?  It is entirely possible that it was done at the factory though as back in the good old days you could get anything you wanted lol. 
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

wrefakis

trim tags ended so in 64 ,  65 and up had ooo in trim code space

Rare1975Caddys

I saw this car when it was on Craigslist, it also said ALL original.  Personally, I think it simply a case of the original interior was poor/sun damaged etc., and someone found a decent interior and steering wheel from a NON-deElegance and swapped it out. Anything is possible, but it makes little sense someone would have order a new Fleetwood, paid extra for the deElegance option, for which the most important aspect was the unique interior, then paid extra to have the interior changed at the factory to a standard issue interior. 
75 CDV Cabriolet Jennifer Blue Fac. SunRoof & ACRS
75 Eldo Cab Jennifer Blue AstroRoof & Monticello Cloth
75 Eldo Cab Roxena Red AstoRoof
75.5 Seville Triple Silver (1st 2000 Series)
76 Eldorado T-Top Pickup Conversion
77 SDV d'Elegance

I spoke with the seller who affirmatively proclaimed the car to be a special order which he claims to have verified after receiving numerous calls and feedback regarding the odd interior configuration.

I hope Jim Lumma can get a picture of the data plate which will positively confirm if this is indeed the case.

To be clear, the only obvious deviation from d'Elegance is the front seat which is standard cloth Brougham seat. All other items of the factory Brougham d'Elegance package appear correct and accounted for.

Caddyholic

We had our meeting there last night but the car was lock away in the detail shop. The only employee there after hours did not have the key for the shop. Sorry.

1962 Coupe Deville

g27g28

Eric
How did the seller claim he verified the special order?  Did he offer to send you a picture of the data plate?   I hate to not find out the story on this one. 

Greg
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood