News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mechanical Help!

Started by Vinnysmom1, September 10, 2022, 01:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnysmom1

Hello fellow members! I'm in need of a reliable mechanic who is trust worthy and knows their way around a 85 Eldorado with a 4100. Anyone know of people in Chicago? Preferably Northside of Chicago? Thanks!!

Poncholover

I know this might not help much but those 4100s are pretty much dependability "proof". A sharp mechanic will likely avoid them. Maybe there are work arounds?
Flattie Caddy

Barry M Wheeler #2189

This may or may not help. If your VIN is after FE623772, the car will have had some slight improvements on the engine. The very first (usually) is to drain the radiator, put in new coolant, and add the "horse pills" to the mix. Any national chain auto store should know what these additives are. And for heavens sake, do NOT drive it in Chicago traffic until you've had a chance to check it over. (Unless you are on great terms with your AAA driver.)

I would recommend that you join our National CLC and then get acquainted with local members for help. You will get a Directory (on line) listing local members including others with your year car.

Again, unless using the car is "life and death", do not drive it in Chicago traffic. When the engine "goes" it does so, "just like that." I was in traffic when my '86 FWD Fleetwood went and managed to limp to my work place a few miles further on before it stopped.

If you've been on the Forum long enough to send PMs, you can contact me and I'll give you a phone # to call that can possibly help you. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Vinnysmom1

Thanks for the advice! I'm currently a national and local member. I spoke to my local club and they don't have any recommendations of a mechanic in my area unfortunately. I did find a mechanic and I will be taking it the weekend. I have want to address a few things with my caddy. Most importantly I have a minor oil leak and I found coolant sitting under the compressor by the water pump. The car is sluggish I've had it looked over by 2 other mechanics previously and not much help. My convertible top only goes down manually. When I press the top switch "up" you hear the motor and the big windows start to go down but it seems like it draws to much power and you see the interior lights dim and my engine starts to bog down. Other than that it's in perfect condition.

35-709

Since it has already been noted in Reply #1 of this thread that the 4100 engines (some worse than others, all bad), are "reliability proof", I have to say that I don't hold out much hope for your engine.  I do hope, however, that I am wrong. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2