News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Eldorado drive train vibration

Started by Craigla67@gmail.com, November 29, 2022, 12:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigla67@gmail.com

After 2 new drive shafts, still can't determine source of vibration under the car. Vibration starts after take off at about 5 mph, then settles down at around 15 mph.  Motor runs smoothly and transmission shifts smoothly.  I hope someone has some ideas on a fix or what else to check.  Thank you.
Craig LaFollette

Craigla67@gmail.com

Craig LaFollette

James Landi

Here's another possibility-- I owned a '61 convertible with an odd vibration... turned out to be several broken flex plate "ears" (where the flexplate bolts on to the flywheel).  Inspected from the bottom of the bell housing, a mechanic was able to weld over the cracks and cured the vibration.  Hope this helps, James

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

I had a similar problem on my '62 Eldorado.  The transmission mounts were the culprit.

walt chomosh #23510

Craig,
  I had a vibration that really threw me for loop! Turned out to be the motor mount holes in my block of my 1955CDV. The motor mount holes were worn out of round so  I reamed the block to the next size bolttrailer lake 001.JPG . All has been well since....good luck finding your vibration....walt...tulsa,ok

Dave Shepherd

When I worked for GM starting in 62, NVH was almost a new focus when it came to problem diagnosis.  The "old school" techs were not up to the task diagnosing these conditions. The Cadillac dealerships in the NYC area were handicapped road testing cars for conditions like this because of limited availability  of smooth roads. I spent a lot of time involved in this issue, but these problems arose well past the short warranty at that time. I learned a lot during on the job training.  Made a lot of of mistakes trying to pin down the source of problem.