News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'54 series 62 couple of (unrelated) questions

Started by Julien Abrahams, November 29, 2022, 11:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hello all,

Instead making multiple (small) threads I decedided to put a couple of questions in one thread.
1) Choke / High idle: how is it supposed to work?
When I start the car now (after it has been sitting for a couple weeks) it takes a couple of seconds for the gas to get to the carb. Then it fires right up (at high idle) and runs smoooth. However, when I tap the gas pedal, it immediately goes to low idle (not sure if this is intermediate or curb idle). Is that correct? In my '67 it works somewhat different: after starting from cold it is at the highest idle. Tapping the gaspedal once will result in medium idle. After the engine has warmed the choke coil sufficiently, it will go to curb idle (usually after about 10 minutes of driving.

2) Loose mirror
My drivers side mirror is loose. And then I mean the mirror (ball joint) on the arm. Resulting in the mirror sagging when driving. Kind of annoyinh. Is there a way to fasten/fix this?

3)Any tips for changing the rear oil seal (the seal that prevents diff oil to seep through fouling the brake drums and brake shoes.
I need to change this seal, but this will be a first. Do you have any tips for this with regard to removing and installing. I understand that I need a slide hammer to remove the drive shafts (which I still need to buy).
I have attached a couple of photos from a seal that I found (in a big suitcase full of bits and pieces and some parts that came with the car. Is that this specific oil seal? I don;t know its age, but it looks good, still very supple and has no tears. Usable?

Thanks very much in advance.

1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Julien Abrahams

As no one has answered yet..
Is it better to start several topics?
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

fishnjim

You've got a mechanical era car, so the carb and fast idle is different but appears to be working.  They used vacuum idle up in the late '50s & '60s.  Let it run until it warms up, before "kicking" it down, if it's stalling.
Suggest you obtain the shop manual for '54s and parts list.
You better study up on the seal replacement as there's been several posts lately about them and finding correct parts.  I'd seek a mechanic/differential shop, if you're not familiar or live with the leak.

Cadillac Jack 82

These old gals from the 50s all leak to a degree.  Even when new they had pans underneath to catch the fluids on the showroom floor.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Michael Petti

If leak not too bad, I'd live with it. Have you tried any of the prodects that supposedly swell the seal and stop or slow the leak?

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Julien Abrahams

Thanks for the replies.
I thought the choke operates as intented, but I was not sure because my '67 has a slightly different system and has three idle rpm "setting": highest idle, medium high and curb idle. I think the '54 only has two idle settings: high idle for cold starting and curb idle.
With regard to the seal: I do have the shop manual. It is the seal right behind the drive axle. I cannot just leave it because it causes differential oil to leak past the axle seal and into the brake drum and onto the brake shoes.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

dn010

Replacing the axle oil seal is pretty straight forward. The hardest part is removing all the brake parts, backing plate, etc. and reassembling. You'll definitely need the slide hammer to get the axle out, you can get one for $45 on Amazon right now during the holidays. It will come with "seal hooks" to get the seal out, just make sure you have something to hammer the new seal in with so that it doesn't warp, like a large socket or even a chunk wood. Check the axle shaft to make sure it isn't scored from the seal otherwise a replacement seal will do you no good.

https://www.amazon.com/THOROAD-Pulling-Bearings-Bushings-Retainers/dp/B09VRW1LSQ
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean