News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anti-theft Device on '72 Fleetwood?

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, December 01, 2022, 04:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Hi folks,

We found a Cadillac key that presumably was from my dad's 1972 Fleetwood.  It's gold plated! It also has two pieces of plastic at the base of the key. We've discovered that on later model Cadillacs these bits of plastic were resistors for an anti-theft ignition, that "unlocked" the ignition when inserted into the key slot.

I have a '72 CDV on which the key slot looks exactly like the one on my dad's Fleetwood.  I don't see how in the world that the switch could interact with these resistors as described in later models.

So my question is: was there such an anti-theft feature available on '72 models?

If not, we're going to be very curious about the key we found, ha.

Thanks.

Gary

V63

It sounds as if the later chip adaptation is simply unused with a 1972 application. Might have been the only blank they could get at the time? Just a suggestion.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Gary Christensen CLC # 21112 on December 01, 2022, 04:53:03 PMSo my question is: was there such an anti-theft feature available on '72 models?....    Thanks.     Gary   
In a word, no.

As for later models?   Probably not until Computers came into the car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

That's what I thought.  I said the same thing about computers to my brother.  Thanks!

TJ Hopland

There was an optional alarm system in the early 70's but I'm not sure how it was turned on and off.  The lock cylinder from the 90's was the same as the earlier ones it just had a long set of thin wires that ran down the column so I imagine one could be installed on an earlier column then a creative person would just have to figure out something fun to do with that signal. 

Maybe someone stole the car at some point which often damages the column and the whole column was from a later car?    What letter is on the shank of the key?  Someone could maybe look that up to see if it matches the correct year?  72 the square key still worked in the doors, does it?  If not thats another clue that the lock got changed at some point.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason