News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Pristine 1970 eldorado AC question

Started by billmorrow, December 05, 2022, 02:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmorrow

It is time to repair or recharge or convert the climate control on my 1970 eldorado so, my question is replace the compressor or..?
or can it be converted to 134 assuming it is ok internally..?
or are there look alike replacements..?
or is there any other advice..?

pix on request

this car is a 98k mile california rust free all original (paint, leather, perfect glass, etc) car..
except i retrimmed the trunk with cut pile carpet and it has a new padded top..

thank you..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

James Landi

Here's "one data point" from Maine.  I connected with around a dozen a/c places up here in Maine.  Only one large specialty shop said they'd recharge with r 12, but warned that even though my car had fewer than 60K miles, it was likely Id need a new compression and other associated parts- and they'd replace with 134A- My compressor was falling apart (literally), so all in, new compressor,limit switch, drier, 5 hours of labor, 918.00. It pumps out 39 degree air, I'm please.

billmorrow

Quote from: James Landi on December 05, 2022, 03:33:07 PMHere's "one data point" from Maine.  I connected with around a dozen a/c places up here in Maine.  Only one large specialty shop said they'd recharge with r 12, but warned that even though my car had fewer than 60K miles, it was likely Id need a new compression and other associated parts- and they'd replace with 134A- My compressor was falling apart (literally), so all in, new compressor,limit switch, drier, 5 hours of labor, 918.00. It pumps out 39 degree air, I'm please.
thanks for your reply..
i replaced the ENTIRE AC system, everything!, on one of my '95 roadmaster wagons for about $800 last year.. the compressor had chewed itself into bits such that pieces were falling out of it when it was removed..
at my local tire and maintenance shop..
looking at rock auto i see several different compressors for the eldorado and, i imagine, many other cadillac and GM models from that range of year models..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

James Landi

Bill,

I think you're correct... apparently there's nothing very special about several generations of GM a/c compressors and associated parts.  I think the price is about right for the hours expended and the up charges for the parts--- somewhat similar to going to the parts store and buying a starter for a third of the price it costs you to have the same one installed by a repair shop.   I can still do starters and alternators, etc... but at 77 years old, I'm not going to learn a/c, so I'm happy with freeze out 134A ac on my '88 Allante.   James