News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cleaning aluminum grill parts

Started by billyoung, March 30, 2023, 06:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyoung

On my 1968 Cadillac DeVille I have tried multiple cleaning agents including warm water with white vinegar which was recommended on the internet to remove the whitish oxide on my grill and did absolutely no good. Has anybody been successful with anything?
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey Bill,
not much you can do to make it pretty again except replace with a better piece.
What I do after a wash is let the grill dry, then wipe it with WD40, it looks a lot better.
The right side is 'after', left side 'before'.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Lexi

I have used Meguiars blue colored aluminum cleaner. Seems to work well. I had a detailer tell me a while back that this product is somewhat acidic so don't leave it on too long. Have used it sparingly on my gold Sabres and it seems to work well. Can anyone comment on that? Clay/Lexi

cadillactim

If you can find a cleaner with hydroflouric acid that will work. When I could get it Eagle brand Mag Wheel cleaner was great! Spray it on, wait 15 seconds, then rinse off. No disassembly required. Works great on chrome also.

Tim
Tim Groves

billyoung

Thank you all for your kind and most helpful responses.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Lexi

Bill you are welcome. Here is the back panel of the Meguiar's aluminum wheel cleaner, which I have used on my Gold anodized Sabres and other anodized parts, thus far without issue. Like the product cadillactim recommended, Eagle Brand, the Meguiars wheel cleaner also foams up when sprayed on a surface. Wait time is noted on the rear panel of this bottle as 15 seconds then rinse off and wipe dry. The rear panel details also provides some information as to what this product contains, for those who are interested from a health and saftey as well as a "curatorial" perspective. If anyone sees anything in this list of chemicals that would give concern about what it might do to old plating, please let us know. Clay/Lexi

79 Eldorado

Whitish oxide describes Aluminum corrosion. I don't know how bad it is but if you see whitish powder there very well could be tiny pits where the powder was coming from. I only mention it because even if you remove the white oxide the surface left behind will likely not look that great. If it doesn't look that bad maybe the focus of the effort needs to be preventing it from going further. Too aggressive may make it look worse.

Scott

billyoung

So, I searched for Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner and found none for sale so today I called the manufacturer and found out that the product has been discontinued. I have not found another product with Hydroflouric acid in it so there goes that idea.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: StevenTuck on April 05, 2023, 05:51:30 AMProducts aren't discontinued because they are great products but because they aren't great products.

OR they worked too well and the government decided the little people couldn't be trusted with them.
DDT, brodifacoum, chlorofluoroalkanes come immediately to mind.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

billyoung

Agreed, California's clunker crusher law effectively did away with thousands of potential parts cars. The EPA's clamp down on the Chrome plating industry and the restrictions on automotive paint products have made restoration largely a rich mans game and has prevented many classic cars from being restored because the investment in doing so costs several times what the completed car is worth.