News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Why you can’t have nice things

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, September 24, 2021, 01:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

James and Clay, the 54-56 Cadillacs are in there own world dimension wise when it comes being such a standout. They are beastly and masculine looking Cadillacs that have a very broad and tall stance compared to the later 50's on up Cadillacs which are low slung, the 54-56's are equivalent to a modern day crossover as my 54 is the easiest car to enter and exit out of compared to any other Cadillac or modern day sedan I've ever been in.

So true, a 20 year old car today doesn't look much different from a 2021-2022 model year car. The same shapes still exist, and the only real difference is that the new vehicles are more angry and aggressive looking with their sharp angles vs something from 10-20 years ago, but a 50's car in the 1970's for sure had to stand out as something so cool to witness on the road!

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

dennisspeaks

I have not had this problem at all, I even had a old lady behind me, she must have been in her 70's give me a thumbs up and she was behind me.  People at stop lights roll down their windows and either ask if they are for sale, what year are they or how they are in amazing condition. 

Even at car shows when I am the odd man out because usually I am the only or one of a few Cadillacs there in a sea of muscle cars, I get the love.  My only problem so far is even though I park at the end of the parking lot to stay away from other cars, someone always manages to park next to me, I'm about ready to start taking up two parking spaces, these babies need two any way.
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

James Landi

Dennis,

Your car is stunningly beautiful--- like a fine vintage wine, that design looks more delicious with each passing year.   James

dennisspeaks

Thanks James, she cleaned right up after being in the barn so long.  Just turned 32,200 over the weekend and sadly it's about time to put away for the winter.

Our youngest daughter let my wife know how much she likes it and wants it of course.  She must have consulted with her siblings on how they got the 90 Sedan and 89 Fleetwood from me.  She loves the 94 Deville too, that one I am going to give her after winter.

Cheers!
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado
1978 Biarritz
1978 Biarritz
1974 Eldorado - RIP
1976 Eldorado Vert
1975 Sedan d'Elegance
1990 Sedan Deville -gave to son
1988 Fleetwood Brougham - gave to daughter
1968 GTO
1965 Olds 442
1975 Caprice Classic Sold

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: lexi on October 02, 2021, 07:44:20 PM
You're a better man than me Charles. I would have tore a strip off of her a mile wide. Nice stories about your car, otherwise. Cobalt Blue is perhaps my favorite color as my old Caddy is also that, (code #26). Almost chameleon like as it can appear black or a couple of shades of blue depending on the light and time of day. It is very classy indeed and yes, even Presidential as that Russian lady commented. Clay/Lexi

Clay, you are correct about the chameleon-like aspects of Cobalt Blue. All of the Cadillac firemist colors have that characteristic to some extent. I have attached a photo, and although the lighting is poor, the multi-faceted aspects of the color show plainly.  Since this thread discussed some negative aspects of public reaction to our Cadillacs, I do want to share another pleasant experience.

I work just north of downtown San Diego, and sometimes drive downtown, find a suitable parking place, and do several errands walking.  On one such occasion, I approached my car to see four people gathered around it. Because of heavy traffic and lots of ongoing construction, I feared the worst - something fell on it, or someone hit it.  I was greatly relieved to learn that the four people were two young men and two young women on holiday from Sweden (this was pre-pandemic).  They were profuse in their admiration of the car, and asked permission to take photos. One of the women squealed, "it's so big and so blue!"  I opened the doors, and let them sit inside.  The women were thrilled with the dual rear-seat vanity mirrors built into the ceiling; the men appreciated the workmanship of the leather interior, the power recliners,  and the genuine walnut paneling on the dash and door panels, one of them saying, while taking a photo of a door panel, just wait 'till I get home and show them you people still have "Danish Modern" styling.  I started the car and demonstrated some of the accessories. 

Then I remembered that the previous week, I had just re-installed the radio/stereo/tape player after sending it to Illinois to have all of the illumination and clock function gone through.  The clock was remaining on, even with the ignition off, causing a parasitic drain that would completely drain the battery in 3-4 days.  The shop used a cassette tape from the center console to test it for me, run it through all of its functions, and show that everything worked. It did, and I thought no more about it, until I met this group of four.  I then asked one of them to push the cassette into the unit, and I kid you not, when "Dancing Queen" by Abba started to play, there were gales of laughter and applause all around!

-Charles Fares

Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Lexi

Lovely car and a lovely color Charles. Such a stately presence your car presents. A buddy of mine looked at a photo of my car recently that was taken in strong sunlight, commenting that it almost looked blue. I told him that its color is cobalt blue. Astonished, he had thought all these years that the car was black. And yes, even though I still indulge in Heavy Metal, just ask Laurie, (Cape Cod Fleetwood), I have loved ABBA since day one. I bet those Swedes were "blown away". Great story! Clay/Lexi  \mm/

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on October 02, 2021, 07:19:38 PM
I drive a 1989 Fleetwood in Cobalt Blue as a more-or-less daily driver. In a given week, I receive about half a dozen complements on the car, whether it be from other drivers, pedestrians, or people at the supermarket or service station. The office building where I work has parking under the building for about 60 cars.  One day, a woman who was waiting for the elevator complemented the car.  In excellent English with a pronounced Russian accent, she stated that it was "very presidential", and that in the preceding weeks, she had noticed that the car was the only one in the building to have fender skirts and white sidewall tires, noting that those were two attractive attributes from a bygone time.

The only negative reaction I received was from a woman while I was fueling at a gas station, shortly after the massive civil disturbances, looting, and protests during mid-2020.  She told me that I ought to be ashamed of myself, driving a car that so obviously shouted "white male privilege" and "conspicuous consumption".  I could have responded with at least three insulting or off-color remarks, but these days, it often demonstrates a fine command of the situation to  look at them with a jaundiced eye and say nothing at all.

Charles Fares

Outside of the Cars and Coffee that we used to have at Lennox here in Columbus (ruined by snot faced, loud mouth punks in rice, mustangs looking for a curb to hit and modern Mopars) it's the new Sheetz that opened a couple of months ago here in New Albany.  Always lots of comments and peeps wanting to talk.  Can take me 15 - 20 minutes to get out of there.  And since my 66 Fleetwood tends to be thirsty, plus it's almost my summer daily driver, weather permitting of course, I'm in there quite a bit. 

Only one negative comment by a Prius owner of course with car so covered in decals that you really couldn't tell what it was.  And come to think of it, one at another Cars and Coffee from a women who didn't know I was the owner, who commented to her husband/boyfriend "what a pimpmobile" so I quickly grab my fedora from the front seat and say to her that yeah, I may have to work tonight.  So I'm ready for all of the stereotypes. 

Mostly, all good comments with only a couple of exceptions.  Plus, almost all of the mechanical issues fixed (at great cost) so I can go and not have to worry about getting back.  Killer A/C with sub 30 degree vent temps and the car never overheats.  Temp gauge runs at about 1/8th and using a heat gun, engine temps are about what the thermostat is, 180.  So happier times are here. 

BlackCads

Quote from: 64\/54Cadillacking on October 02, 2021, 11:53:40 AM
BTW the NJ post had me cracking up! California, NY, and NJ hands down have the country's most dangerous inconsiderate drivers in the entire country. It's that fast paced lifestyle, and outrageous cost of living has everyone so grumpy all the time. 😓🤯😬

Clearly you have never driven in Massachusetts or Rhode Island. Interstate 195 in Rhode Island is like driving in a demolition derby. And there is a reason our northern neighbors commonly refer to Massachusetts drivers as "M*ssholes".

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: BlackCads on October 05, 2021, 12:58:21 PM
Clearly you have never driven in Massachusetts or Rhode Island. Interstate 195 in Rhode Island is like driving in a demolition derby. And there is a reason our northern neighbors commonly refer to Massachusetts drivers as "M*ssholes".

I've driven I-95 (among others) in CT, RI & Mass but none of those come close to NJ and Long Island. Boston is pretty bad however.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

scotth3886

Quote from: BlackCads on October 05, 2021, 12:58:21 PM

It's been a while since I've driven there, but I think Montreal might even be more aggressive.

James Landi

Scott,I have to agree with you.  I one time drove into Montreal on a Friday afternoon--- four lane highway, and virtually everyone is driving around 80 MPH-- even guys in old Ford vans.  Having lived most of my life in the Northeast, there are always highway patrol cars around that do tend to keep the speed and tempers in check.   

SilverLimo75

For myself, the car I have was vandalized during the storage in the building it was in. Windows were broken. Fortunately the door windows and center one behind the driver seat are made out of flat glass instead of curved, so the local glass shop can cut new replacements with proper dimensions.

In the past some of the stainless steel trim and the hubcaps were stolen, probably for scrap. That will make restoring my car a bit of a challenge. One thing to watch out for in lately is scrap metal thieves trying to make a quick buck. Most of the trim on the older cars are stainless steel and they have those big copper & brass radiators.
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood 75