News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Which Gas

Started by 60eldo, June 19, 2019, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

So here in canada we have 2 choices of gas. Shell 91 octane NO ETHINOL, or Peto Can 94 octain with 10% ethinol. Which do you prefer for your car.
Jon. Kluczynski

Dan LeBlanc

My 390s all did fine on 91 ethanol free out here in NB even with timing advanced to 7.5 degrees BTDC from the factory 5 degrees. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Big Fins

Unless you drive the car daily and it doesn't sit for any length of time, the 91 would be the way to go. Save the corn for feeding the livestock.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

Absolutely run the non-ethanol.  The engines in both my '73 Caribou and the '71 472 in Big Red (as well as the 350 Chevy in the Jaguar) run MUCH better with the 89 octane non-ethanol I can get locally than on any octane ethanol-laced gas.  Especially nice is when the engine gets up to normal operating temperature, it will idle without the carburetor loading up, stalling, hard starting and increased tendency to vapor lock.  No-brainer to use non-ethanol, if you can get it, in my opinion, in our older carburetored cars.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

I agree, non-ethanol is the way to go if available.  If performance is an issue, try an octane booster.  A lot cheaper than carb rebuilds and other fuel system repairs, and probably cheaper than using an anti-ethanol treatment, which is what I have to do. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

nycfarmboy

go ethanol-free no matter the octane rating.  for a seldom driven car especially in winter months you don't want ethanol gelling back into corn syrup in your fuel systems.     Also ethanol will eat thru old fuel rubber hoses and can lead to engine fires.   

a 87 octane gasoline today is MUCH higher quality than what a premium gasoline would have been in 1973.... provided no ethanol of course.

Big Fins

I know I'm going to get flamed badly for this but, the tank on my Eldorado is 27 gallons. I drive it until there is about 10 gallons left in the tank, which doesn't take long. I will blend in an 80% blend of 90 octane Rec 90 gasoline and 20% 100LL AvGas. The engine runs so much smoother because of the higher octane and the 12o base advance on the timing.

The 76, 500CID engine does not need the extra octane because of the low compression and the heads were designed for unleaded gasoline. If you did the lab tests on Recreational grade 90 octane, you will find it is base stock gasoline with no additives. IE: injector cleaners, carbon reducers, etc... And the AvGas has drying agents in it to make water suspended in the fuel come right out so that they won't find their way into the induction systems of aircraft. If you were to try and blend water into AvGas, it won't. It separates instantly.

Maybe once a year, I park the car in the driveway in such a way so that one particular corner of the tank is at the lowest level and run a small siphon hose to that corner. Only two times did I ever get anything out. That only equated to less than one ounce of discolored water.

Not everyone can get AvGas where they live, but here with all of the airboats, smaller airports will sell it to you at generally about $4-$5/gallon
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille