Recent posts

Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1952 series 62 Seat belts
Last post by Technician! - August 15, 2022, 05:45:38 PM
Thank you all.  Mine is a 4 door, with a fixed front seat.  When I stick my hand down between the back rest and seat cushion, there is no opening between them.  Anyone have experience in removing the seat back from the frame?  Earlier models had a removable seat cushion, but mine is all one piece.
I am, however, familiar with the geometry required for installation once I am able to pass the belt through to the floor.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1950 Series 62 Battery Cab...
Last post by Jay Friedman - August 15, 2022, 05:27:39 PM
According to my 1935-55 Parts Manual, the negative battery cable for a 1950 Cadillac is described as a "ground strap" and it is 36 inches long.  The positive cable is 25½ inches long.
Technical / Authenticity / 1950 Series 62 Battery Cables/...
Last post by ToddH - August 15, 2022, 05:03:19 PM
I just can't seem to find a consistent answer for this so hoping someone can help!?! 

1.  Was the original negative battery cable a braided strap or a black cable?  Where does it attach to from the terminal?  The current cable I have is about a 3' braided strap bolted halfway on the frame rail and the end bolted to the starter.  Any negative cable I see for sale seems to be a one foot long black cable...? Authenticity manual on p III-8 says "The battery cables were black", hmm.

2. Was the original positive cable cloth braided?

3. Anywhere you know that I can find correct battery cable replacements?  Mine are pretty rough, taped, cloth falling off the positive, etc. as you can see.

Thank you so much anyone for your wisdom and knowledge!!
PS - I just inherited this 1950 Caddy from my 93 yr. old uncle.  He had owned it since 1962 and it needs some tlc, cleaning, etc. But I'm loving it!
General Discussion / Re: 1961 Window sweep question
Last post by fishnjim - August 15, 2022, 03:59:10 PM
I suspect since they aren't the same as your originals, that they are the wrong ones.
I looked them up on Steele Rubber and there's don't show any end pieces.
fyi:
aka, beltline weatherstrip   They "seal" the outer glass to the door w/ and W/o chrome trim models/
General Discussion / 1947 radiator air dam
Last post by jwwseville60 - August 15, 2022, 03:53:43 PM
I have a 47 Coupe.
The air dam is not there.
Someone told me a guy sells a kit for this and it aids cooling in hot weather.
Anyone have any info?
Many thanks!
JWW
General Discussion / Re: 1956 upper arm excentric b...
Last post by Saturnin15 - August 15, 2022, 03:53:37 PM
A used one will be perfect.  Can't be worse than mine.  Tell me if you find one.
As the owner of a 54 CDV I fully endorse everything Art Gardner has said.
General Discussion / Re: SMS auto fabrics as of Jul...
Last post by 1949 - August 15, 2022, 02:47:55 PM
UPDATE ..... Just got a call from SMS They are shipping my fabric today !!

I have had 22 Cadillacs between 49 and 62, including several 1954 models.  Here are my thoughts:

54 is an excellent year mechanically.  The engine is smooth, not terribly prone to vapor lock (compared to some later years that produce more power), and very reliable (mechanically).  The Achilles heel of the engine is the original ignition system and the fuel system.  95% of "engine" problems will actually be fuel or ignition.

The 54 4-speed Hydramatic transmission is extremely reliable.  If it works well now, it will probably work well for many years to come.  Many.  Leaks are common, but can be fixed.  Shifting from 1-2 and from 3-4 are fairly smooth when the transmission is properly adjusted.  The shift from 2-3 is noticeably harsher than modern transmissions and does not indicate any problem with the transmission -- that is just how they work.

Wiring is 12v and the wires are covered with polymer (plastic), not cloth.  Very reliable wiring and few 54s will ever need to have the wiring harness replaced.  Electric motors in the windows work smoothly and reliably.  Battery is a size 3E, which has a low cold cranking amp rating and they can be killed if the engine is hard to start.  Battery is a pain in the neck to change due to its weight and location.

54 sedan has a quiet body with few rattles or noises. 

Brakes are very good when redone to factory standards as described in the Shop Manual.  Unfortunately, many mechanics redo the brakes without ever reading the Shop Manual, resulting in less than optimal braking performance.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: '67 429 Propulsion Issue (...
Last post by Snibbor - August 15, 2022, 01:54:37 PM
Thanks Kurt. Good info.