News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac Deville right hand Mirror Question

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, June 25, 2022, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Bill,
 Thanks for responding. However, did you get the gasket & instruction sheets?? Did you get the correct attaching screws?

Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Bob , I did not buy a new aftermarket Mirror . I made my own gasket and as far as the hardware goes I could of used two 1/4-28 studs with nuts . However the mount had the original 3/32 access for the Allen wrenchl . So I used my imagination and used two Hi - fasteners (titanium) that had the Allen set screws in the one end . However I had to use two spacers and it worked out fine . I am justConcerned about the mirrors being symmetrical. And they are not .  However ever 1970 / 69 I can find on the internet are not symmetrical. The gasket is The least of my problems.  And he had a copy of the mounting instructions or template .The question is do I have the right mirror or do I not .
I'll add a picture of the fasteners .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha. .... The plot thickens.

No wonder I had never heard of those odd fastenings.

Using the bolts without the locking sleeve will work just as well, as when the heads are under the sheet metal, and tightened up, they will not need the locking sleeve.

One thing that I would have changed with the mounting instructions would be is having the holes turned the other way, so that the leading ends are to the front of vehicle, so that if the mirror ever came loose, the wind pressure could never force the mirror rearwards, allowing it to fall off.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

That is a very good point Bruce .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I had a correct dealer add on right side mirror put on when The Ark was in the shop last winter.
The mirror is correct, got it from Charles Fares (RIP). Shop was supplied with the correct
diagram shown in a previous post. For some reason the diagram was not used, I forgot the excuse.
The gasket 'broke' so the shop prefabbed another. As you can see the mirror is pitched 'funny' due
to the gasket. The mirror as it is helps "a little" with seeing highway traffic on the right, its a hint,
still recommend turning your body for a good look. This is on the list of things to fix when The Ark goes
into Hyannis Vintage Auto this winter.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Laurie,
    If at all possible can you provide me with a picture of your mirror's taken from the front of your car showing both mirrors . If you purchased it from Charles it was correct for sure . He was a great and always helping out whenever he could . I sure do miss him . He could explain complex details over the phone like he was showing you a picture .
    Thank you very much ,
            Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Here you go. As you can see, the right mirror is on a weird angle, guess the shop couldn't see that when they did it. Its the gasket they made. Hyannis will fix it this winter when the cars goes to them.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Bill Balkie 24172

Thank you Laurie ,
     Your mirror is much like every other mirror that I looked at. And if you said you picked it up from Charles you know it's authentic .  Your car is beautiful .
    Thank you for your time ,
   Bill

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Kurt Weess

Bill,
Here are a couple of pictures of my 70 Fleetwood.  I believe the RH mirror was installed by the dealer.  As you can see it shows the same angle as all other pictures you have posted so at this point I would have to think this is normal.  On a side note my RH mirror is locked into position so I can't adjust it.  I don't want to push too hard and break the glass.  Do your instructions say how to adjust?
KurtDriver.jpgPass.jpg 

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Kurt  ,
     Your Mirror looks  exactly like the one that is on my car and Laurie's .Thank you so much for sharing . It makes me feel 100 percent sure that the mirror is correct . As far as the adjustment . Mine moves in all direction but you need to apply a little force . Once it is set in keeps its position .
    Kurt it is suppose to be tight . But if your are afraid
Of breaking the glass maybe a little shot of W D 40 with the extension on the Nozzle behind the glass. Thanks again for your input .
    Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Bill thank you and you're welcome, hope it was helpful.
Kurt that mirror was designed to be positioned laterally/left to right by hand.
If you've never tried to move it, and it doesn't want to budge, I'd leave it alone, MHO.
I was able to get mine to move outwards more.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would not be attempting to spray anything up behind the mirror to free up the clamping part, as if it loosens up, it will always move at the larger potholes.

Plus, any liquid that doesn't fall out will create a grit and dust retainment.

The only way to clean out the back where you cannot get to would require spraying with a "solvent/cleaner" like Brakleen so as to not leave any residue.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roman Z

I hope this helps. On my 70 convertible the right and left mirror are close. Looks like the right mirror pitches a little to the window.IMG_2661.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

With all these mirror pictures, I see that the Right Mirror has exposed threads for attaching, but I am pretty sure that the Left Mirror would be unthreaded, as in having the mirror retained by nuts from inside the door.

My question is, has anyone with a factory-fitted Right Mirror fitted to their car, does yours show the threads from the outside?

Could it be that there are two mirrors for the Right side?   The hidden fastening for factory fitting, and the exposed fastening for dealer fitting.   I find it hard to believe that Cadillac would fit from the factory, a seemingly inferior product.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Seville Life

If by exposed threads you mean the two holes in the mirror base? Yes, my Father's '70 Coupe deVille had a right-hand mirror, factory fitted and it had the two holes in the mirror base.

The '69/'70 right-hand door mirrors are the only ones like this I think, the mirror glass is in a friction ball/socket assembly. Later, '71 onwards they were cable operated. Paul
Paul Bedford

76eldo

Hi Bill,

Where did you get those fasteners from?  I'd like to buy some.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

From what I can see, and the way the mirrors fasten, there is really no need for the sleeve, as the bolt is retained in the mirror base, and then the mirror is slid into position, then tightened.

The only time these sleeves would work, is if there are only holes, with no slot, as there would be nothing to stop the bolts from falling back down the holes whilst the mirrors are being attached.   Then a simple "C" Clip small enough to grip the bolt thread would do the same thing.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe