News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Odometer wheel repair

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, October 24, 2010, 11:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

Hi,
I've owned my '52 for almost 15 years, and its odometer has always read 40,600 km (it is an original km/h unit). Speedometer works fine, as well as partial odometer (the one that you can reset).

As I am dismantling the dashboard to remove and restore the wiring harness, I removed the instrument panel to know what is wrong... and I found out ;D

The speedomoter cable moves a worm screw, that moves a tiny aluminum pinion, that is supposed to move a black plastic wheel on the same brass pin (pictures 1 and 2).

The plastic "excrescences" where the pinion turns seem too be worn, as well as pinion teeth tips (picture 3). What can I do to make all this turn together again ? I thought of heating the pinion on gas and melting the plastic with  it, but I don't know which kind of alloy it is made of (don't want to get a tiny metal ball on the cooker ::) ). I don't know, either, if the plastic is the kind that melts or the kind that bubbles and breaks when submitted to heat.

Is there any glue that would fit this purpose, and last long ? any other idea ?
1952 60 Special in France.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have found that good old Araldite works very well.

Where both surfaces are smooth, slightly roughen then with a spike or file, and this will help in creating a bonding area so the glue will grip both surfaces completely.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Grumpy dad, looks like you missed something before you posted. ;)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have a nos AC # 1566686 reel here that should fit for $35 shipped. The black inner roller # is 1536081.....8. It has the tenths mile reel which would be hidden. Anyone know what year they started using the tenths reel__53 ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Philippe M. Ruel

I finaly used Araldite as Bruce recommended, I roughened plastic surface using a mill on a mini-drill.

The reels movement was still rough upon figure changes (which probably was the cause for black reel teeth failure) so I dismantled all the system and put silicone grease on every plastic tooth using the tip of a nail. It now moves smoothly.

You're right Jeff, the odometer shows only 5 figures although there are 6 reels. I don't know when Cadillac odometers started showing 6 figures.
1952 60 Special in France.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Technician!

Quote from: Philippe M. Ruel on October 27, 2010, 12:59:55 PMI finaly used Araldite as Bruce recommended, I roughened plastic surface using a mill on a mini-drill.

The reels movement was still rough upon figure changes (which probably was the cause for black reel teeth failure) so I dismantled all the system and put silicone grease on every plastic tooth using the tip of a nail. It now moves smoothly.

You're right Jeff, the odometer shows only 5 figures although there are 6 reels. I don't know when Cadillac odometers started showing 6 figures.

I know this is an old thread, but having problems with the odometer on my 1952 series 62.  The trip meter works correctly.  I also have a 6th hidden "reel", but mine has numbers (1/10th of a mile).
My problem is the the speedo and trip meter work, but the odo does not work any more.  It was working, then it stopped at 87999.  When testing with a drill motor, the speedo, trip meter and 6th hidden reel spin...just not the rest of the visible numbers of the odo. I removed the odo reel assembly, and by turning the end drive gear the hidden reel turns...but when I get to 9-1/10ths, there is a slight amount of "over center" friction, then it continues to turn, but doesn't turn the balance of the reels to go to 88000. I realize that this action would be turning 4 reels to go from 87999 to 88000.
Phew!  Any experienced help is appreciated.
Perfection bordering insanity

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Stephen,

Boy, this thread is a drag up from the past, and another reason for keeping old posts.

Sounds like the small "Lug" that moves against the adjacent wheel has become worn away from over use, and needs rebuilding to get it back to "normal".

Another thought would be to see if you can swap out that first wheel with the last wheel, as the last one will not have had any wearing of that lug, and should be perfect.

Don't forget to look at the adjacent wheel to see if that is the faulty one.

Bruce. >:D

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Technician!

Thank you for the excellent suggestion!  I am concerned as to how to remove the numbered wheels from the shaft.  It looks like there is a pressed on brass colored retaining ring at each end holding it together, and I don't want to wreck it to get it apart.

Technician!

Thanks again, Tassie!  I took the plunge and removed it again.  Looked over the link above from the stove bolt site and pulled the brass retainer off.  I swapped the internal gears from far left to far right and that did the trick.

The Tassie Devil(le)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe