News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 Eldorado....thoughts?

Started by Ccm, April 09, 2022, 07:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

The custom white Eldo coupe is for sale by Mark Manuzza in New York as far as i know.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Alan Harris CLC#1513

The siren under the hood is a 70's style car alarm. Haven't seen one in years. The car is a cool period piece. I 
didn't like them when they were new, but now they kind of appeal to me.

The shrinkage of the vinyl roof is very concerning, though. That roof could be hiding heartbreak.

James Landi

Alan,

The under carriage images appear to be a net positive; however, the vinyl, as you note,  is likely well beyond its service life, and will need to be removed and replaced... perhaps there'll be little or no rust on the metal roof.   When I owned several well aged Cadillacs back in the 80's, I had Maaco paint the vinyl with the rest of the car, and that worked out well for my cars that sat outside in the Florida weather...(for several years, at least), but these cars were not 50 years old, and hardly a comparison in price.   James

Ccm

Well.....that was a major disappointment. They must have used the "beers goggles" filter when they took the pictures. The car was in rough shape (on the outside, inside it was nice). The car easily had 100k miles more than they advertised. 200k wouldn't shock me either. Torn top in a number of places. Rust bubbling and boiling around all the wheel wells, front and back windows, rocker panels, etc.  All the chrome pimp-bling that I loved...all pitted (grill was particularly egregious). Hub caps trashed.  I wouldn't have paid 7k for it. At least the young salesman was a good sport about it.

What I really didn't understand was that the salesman told me the owner of the dealership was into these kind of cars, yet had that POS listed ridiculously high. They had a 1975 CDV (brown, of course) for sale in the showroom in a separate room from all the jags. It was frickin' spotless inside and out...an absolute gem. Asking $34k for it. Now that may be a high price, but how many you gonna find that looks brand new! If that was in my budget I might be driving that right now.

Thanks to all for my crash course education on the 70 caddys. My search for a luxo-barge continues.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Sorry that turned out badly. Please contact Larry at lcamuso@msn.com. He has a real nice 76 CDV. Ca. car, no rust. He's in San Jose, Ca. Tell him Bob sent you.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

chrisntam

Yeah, that blows.  An in-person inspection is invaluable.

Now that you've seen it, can you see the imperfections in the pictures?  The pictures seem to make it look like new.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Isn't it funny how they always look better in the photographs than in real life.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Exactly.

I once converted a '68 Corvette to RHD back in the 80's, and from the description of the car, and the pictures supplied, it looked good.

BUT, when the car arrived, if the seller had taken the pictures from exactly 180 degrees to the ones supplied, the car would never have been purchased, and from the description, yes, it had all the things mentioned, but each and every item mention was either rusted out, broken, or had to be replaced, it also would have stayed in Florida.

The vehicle repairs cost 4 times more than the actual conversion costs.

This is why I advocate going to have a look, no matter where it is.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

When it comes to finally seeing such a car, experiencing the deep disappointment and (frustation that can easily turn to anger), I have made it a habit of asking Mrs. Landi (who is my better 7/8's), "What price makes this car attractive to us."  With this type of approach, we purchased a 72 Eldorado convertible many years ago--- it had "show chrome"  that was perfect, except in several places where it was pealing... it had a "newish" top, that was stained, it had a great looking interior, but it was vinyl, it had an "only needs a shot of freon" a/c that we never attempted to fix, and during the test drive, it rode like a truck  (tires inflated to 36 pounds).   The underside of the front floor was entirely covered in heavy black gunk to hide the rust repairs, and the white cpaint was dull and dirty.   Following our thorough inspection, Kristina and I went to lunch, discussed just how we'd use the car up here in Maine -- (no need for a/c with top down weather), and what we could do with the chrome.   So we made an offer substantially under the ask--- I drove the car home that afternoon, and never regretted that purchase--- not perfect, but rode beautifully (with the tires inflated in the low 20 psi) and with a good deal of elbow grease, it looked pretty.   Sold in 8 years ago for what we paid for it, and we presented it honestly-- an occasional car, for top down drives, not to be "pushed" etc.   James

wrench

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Ccm

Quote from: wrench on April 15, 2022, 09:26:10 AMPimpin' ain't easy.

...and that seems to be the most appropriate end to this thread!

Thanks to all. I will be posting further questions regarding my quest for a '71-'78 Eldorado (or a boattail Riveria or Mark IV or V.  Sorry, just being honest!) in a more appropriate section. I truly appreciate the feedback. A very helpful forum indeed.

-Mark

Godfather Eldorado

That's a shame. They all look great in the pictures, don't they?
Nobody is perfect.
But if you drive a Cadillac
you're pretty darn close!!