News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

License plates: YOM or Vanity

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, April 21, 2022, 09:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

So I'm thinking of changing The Ark's license plates.
Here in MA you have the standard issue like I have now, or you can use Year Of Manufacture if they meet
certain criteria (I've found that plate on eBay), or you can create a vanity plate, I've had many of them.

Ideas for vanity include "GAS PLZ", "FUEL ME", "MPG 8" etc
YOM are white background with blue letters and numbers, no real choice for them, just what's available and
acceptable to the RMV.

The rules for vanity are: 6 characters, no "!" etc characters, and numbers on the right side.

Thoughts?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Laurie, Everyone from the Mississippi East knows the Ark is your car. I'd just go with any old nice 1970 Mass. plates you can find front & back. It'll look more "real" that way.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

signart

Art D. Woody

59-in-pieces

EV NVR

5150 - The police code for Psychiatric Hold.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

bobrich47

Why not  simple  ARK. or  THE ARK,   MY ARK.   
Bob Richards

Lexi

Good ones Steve. How about what is near and dear to our hearts Laurie? \m/ 1970. The slashes may not be permitted though. In that event how about HVY MTL which pays homage to our music as well as to our cars (which are indeed Heavy Metal also). Clay/Lexi

Cadillac Jack 82

Personally I always use the original plates whenever possible.  The only time I had a hard time finding plates was when I had my 37 LaSalle.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Highwayman68

I had a YPM plate when I had the car registered in Pennsylvania, I still have the plate. When I registered it in Florida I couldn't pass on having that bright and beautiful "Sunshine State" plate displaying so I went with a regular plate here.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

6Fleetwood6

I found a YOM I like.  BONUS!  You do not need to attach the "expired" sticker, just staple it to current registration and present both if (when) requested.  :o ;D
Current
1966 Fleetwood Brougham
Past
1999 Deville Concours
2006 STS4

skinny_tom

- Tom -
1965 Eldorado

David King (kz78hy)

I think it depends on your States laws.  For me in Michigan, the Historic or year of manufacture are the best alternatives.   A Vanity plate is a current plate that requires the car to licensed and insured like a new car.  The historic or YoM have special breaks for plating.  Plates and auto taxes in MI are high, but the historic and YoM are a one time $35 fee that never expires as long as you own the car.  So it is no brainer as to which one to run for me.  The historic and YoM can't be driven everyday like a regular car, but I drive enough and with Hagerty insurance it meets all the requirements. 

I will be posting my plate install soon as I just received my registration this week.  I have a NOS '55 plate for the Eldorado.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Scott Nellis

I am actually very surprised that more people with classic vehicles don't get personalized or YOM plates. Some think nothing of spending thousands on little things to customize or modify their prized possessions, but for a few hundred bucks they could have a brand new personalized plate or find a decent YOM plate. In Ontario we can choose from 8 characters now which really opened-up our options. You have to decide whether you want to make a statement, or simply name the car. After all the time and money being spent, THE ARK definitely deserves something cool. If you decide to go with a personalized plate make sure you have more than one possibility in mind because your first choice may already be taken. Nothing worse than waiting in a line for half an hour or more only to get shot down with a smirk from the clerk. I have hearses, so when I went to get MORTICIA they told me it was already being used so I am currently running with MORTISHA on my 1968 Cadillac Hearse.
   Considering the fuel mileage of THE ARK and the price of gas, perhaps THRSTY would be appropriate. Just my 2 cents. You are never at a loss for words Laurie, so I'm sure you will settle on something very worthy. Good luck.
1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse

Cape Cod Fleetwood

WOW!
These responses have been simply f'ing BRILLIANT!!!!!

Here in MA you only need 1 YOM plate in the rear Barry. The car won't be as recognizable now in its proper
"built in 1969 for 1970 model year Code 93 Lucerne Aqua" vs the toilet green teal it has been.

I should have added there's no spaces any more, ergo The Ark would look like THEARK.

You guys are creative... Butcher you just slay me. LOL!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: Scott Nellis on April 21, 2022, 09:46:09 PM
  I am actually very surprised that more people with classic vehicles don't get personalized or YOM plates. Some think nothing of spending thousands on little things to customize or modify their prized possessions, but for a few hundred bucks they could have a brand new personalized plate or find a decent YOM plate.

Because quite a few states I would imagine are like mine. I can use YOM plates in lieu of Antique/Historic vehicle tags, but you are only allowed to drive it on Saturdays and Sundays, or to shows, or other official club functions. Well, I work on Saturdays and Sundays, I don't do shows, and don't belong to any local clubs. Since I predominantly drive mine on weekdays/nights I can either a) have normal tags; or b) run the gamble that Mr. Policeman won't notice or care what tags I'm running. I choose to run normal tags, and I'm glad I do. I've had at least two occasions I know of where a cop whipped around behind me thinking he caught a live one, only to see regular tags and move on to other more pressing matters. Since my state only requires a rear plate, I do keep a YOM plate on the front bumper if for no other reason than they're just too cool of a design to not have one.  :D
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

dochawk

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

dochawk

As of a coupe of months ago, I have now had that flash of adrenaline from a black and white appearing *right* on my bumper while I'm going 85, only to angrily whip around me for being in the way, in NV, CA, and AZ.

Well, OK, in AZ, rather than whipping around, he flashed his lights to tell me to get the H out of his way . . .

(on the other extreme, years ago when dealing with an odd case of a troublesome client doing a bad rebuild, I got pulled over, handed over the inch thick stack of extensions, etc. from the dmv, to be told, "Sir, this expired at midnight!" [with my mother in the passenger seat, and the day old firstborn on the way to her well check in the back seat])

I really wasn't worried, knowing what the traffic commissioner would do with it, but when I mentioned it to the DMV gal when I went in later that day, she rolled her eyes and backdated it . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

D.Smith

Here ya go!

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Dave how did you do that... LMAO!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Tassie Devil(le)

All well and good, but I believe that Laurie wants ones she can actually keep on the car.   That is legally be allowed to use them all the time.

Don't know why she is asking the question on this Forum, as it is up to her as to what she wants.   Maybe she is looking for encouragement to make up her mind.

Down here we call them Personalised Plates, and can only be obtained through the Registration Authorities in the relevant State.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon