News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

55 Cadillac oil filter canister bolt

Started by Bob Kielar, June 12, 2022, 08:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

8B36861F-197E-4734-B1FE-FADDC9AE4670.jpeg This is a picture of the oil filter canister lid bolt for my 55 Cadillac. My question is is there supposed to be an o ring or something in the groove?
Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes. Sorry but I can't figure out how to post a picture.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Lexi

Been a while since I looked at one, but I know there is supposed to be a large inverted spring there. Do you still have it on yours? If not, and no grommet intended there either, then perhaps on the '55 that is where the spring may have seated. Think I have seen different mounting bolts between '55 and '56 including their length. Will have a look in my parts to see if I can find an answer for you. Clay/Lexi

Daryl Chesterman

These pictures from an ebay listing show the spring.  Click on the large picture first, then click the arrow on the right side of the picture to scroll through all of the pictures.  The second to last picture shows the bolt and spring installed in the lid, but I don't remember how the spring is retained onto the bolt—maybe it snaps into the grove of the bolt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203613449121?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1YNNeOPvfSpWRLByuIUKOTw70&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=203613449121&targetid=4580702891777577&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418640321&mkgroupid=1233652283797640&rlsatarget=pla-4580702891777577&abcId=9300602&merchantid=51291

Also note in the third picture from the top the "washer" that sits around the tube in the middle of the housing.  This "washer" has a cross-section like a T and is essential to have in place so that the filter sits on it providing a seal on the bottom of the filter, and the spring on the lid applies pressure on the top of the filter to ensure that all of the oil gets filtered that enters the housing.

Attached is a better picture of the "T", or top hat, as it is sometimes called.

Daryl Chesterman

Caddy Wizard

The spring is not retained by the bolt.  The bolt just slips down through the spring.  Spring pushes down on the filter.  I don't recall about whether the groove in the bolt takes an o-ring.  I don't remember ever seeing one there.  It looks like it WOULD take an o-ring, but there isn't anything in which the o-ring would engage.  On versions with the "hat", maybe the bolt would take an o-ring.

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Kielar

Thanks for the replies I was curious why there would be this groove. I do have the big spring that sits on top. Another mystery?

Regards,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

Quote from: Art Gardner CLC 23021 on June 13, 2022, 12:39:18 PMThe spring is not retained by the bolt.  The bolt just slips down through the spring.  Spring pushes down on the filter.  I don't recall about whether the groove in the bolt takes an o-ring.  I don't remember ever seeing one there.  It looks like it WOULD take an o-ring, but there isn't anything in which the o-ring would engage.  On versions with the "hat", maybe the bolt would take an o-ring.

I am inclined to agree with Art, especially his comments on the bolt. I also don't recall seeing a groove cut into the bolts that I have seen. It certainly does look like an "O" ring groove, however, based on memory those oil canister lids are not thick so I wonder what the "O" ring would seal against? Looks too low. Or maybe it was there to just keep the spring from falling off of the bolt as you put the small tapered end in first. I have not had a chance to check my parts but at this juncture I can't exclude the possibility that this bolt came from another system. As I am not as familiar with the '55 model year I stand to be corrected. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

I'm almost 100% sure that the small end of the spring is going into the grove. Unfortunately, for this week, I cannot go to my '56 Biarritz.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

I can't say that I remember that groove in the '56s and the lone '55 that I once looked at, but perhaps my memory has failed. Unfortunately the Master Parts List does not include a diagram of the canister but just lists it as a complete unit. Earlier I had checked the '56, '57, '58, '59 and '61 lists and as I recall no exploded diagrams were there. I know from looking at these cars there were at least 2 different lid assemblies with (at least) the '56s as the earlier unit had a more domed top lid. Rather vintage looking when compared to the more streamlined one that followed. I seem to recall that the "domed" type used a shorter hold down screw. Think change took place early in '56 model year and I believe all (or most '55s) had the domed lid. Don't have many good photos but I have attached a shot of the typical '56 unit along with it's components including the elusive raiser or "top hat" fitting. The lid pictured is the later streamlined style. Note the non-grooved screw. The other shot shows the early domed lid with the appropriate decal. That in itself has been a source of contention on the old Mid-Century site. With 2 different styles of lids there is certainly the distinct possibility for different hold down screws. Probably not important enough for Cadillac to have altered the MPL as you had to buy a complete assembly. Would have to pull MPLs to confirm, but I don't think you could buy the individual components except for the gasket and oil filter cartridge itself. Clay/Lexi

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Do you have a big thick washer on the top outside the lid? That washer has a groove in it that I believe is the vent for the canister. It looks flat on top the the groove is on the bottom against the lid allowing it to vent. Sorry about the monster sized pictures. I just figured out how to post them. I'll work on size later.
Jeff R
20220527_074620.jpg
20220527_074547.jpg  20220527_074517.jpg
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Bob Kielar

Hello Jeff,
Thanks for the pictures. Here are a couple of pictures of my bolt and lid now. I put the spring in the groove of the bolt that makes sense. As you can see I do not have a separate large washer that you mentioned for the canister to vent. Do you have a picture of one?

Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on June 16, 2022, 09:10:10 AMDo you have a big thick washer on the top outside the lid? That washer has a groove in it that I believe is the vent for the canister. It looks flat on top the the groove is on the bottom against the lid allowing it to vent.
Jeff R

Jeff,

FYI there should be no washer/vent on the oil filter canister as it is oil under pressure, I believe you are referring to the P/S which does has the special grove washer for venting.   ;)

Bob,

What you have in your pictures and others above are correct "no "O" ring on the bolt grove the spring just seat in that area allowing the bolt to be torque down while the springs just slides inside.

HTH.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: J. Gomez on June 18, 2022, 10:02:35 AMJeff,

FYI there should be no washer/vent on the oil filter canister as it is oil under pressure, I believe you are referring to the P/S which does has the special grove washer for venting.   ;)

Bob,

What you have in your pictures and others above are correct "no "O" ring on the bolt grove the spring just seat in that area allowing the bolt to be torque down while the springs just slides inside.

HTH.

You know what, you are absolutely correct. The vented washer was for the power steering. I had them both off at the same time. Thanks for the correction.
As for the o-ring, that is what we have in the groove on ours. It may have been added by someone but I don't see why. Why would they have put a groove in it unless they intend for an o-ring??

Thanks again

Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on June 18, 2022, 04:21:11 PMAs for the o-ring, that is what we have in the groove on ours. It may have been added by someone but I don't see why. Why would they have put a groove in it unless they intend for an o-ring??

Thanks again

Jeff R

Jeff,

The grove on the bolt allows the spring (small end) to rotate in it while the bolt is being torque down. The spring will usually applies down pressure on the filter depending how far into the bolt it can slide, so the closer it gets to the lid the less pressure is applies.

I recall folks had issues with some of the C4/C4P replacement filters with just the paper cylinders being crushed once install; the spring pressure was too much for them since it could not slide up the bolt while tighten the lid.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Jose is correct. The P/S canister has a vented lid complete with vented washer. See pics, (from a '56 Saginaw pump). Clay/Lexi

Edit: With respect to the Oil filter system; Bob and Jeff's pics show the "domed" oil canister lid style