News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gas / Petrol prices 2022 ?

Started by TJ Hopland, June 13, 2022, 11:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I know in the USA we complain a lot about the prices and we shouldn't because we tend to have it pretty good.  Just curious if the whole world is still running on the same relative scale or if some parts of the world or countries have it better or worse?

I'm midwest USA which is typically just slightly under the national average.  'Regular' is about $4.80 per gallon.  3.8 liters per gallon and USD and Euro are pretty close right now so about $1.27 per liter.  Non ethanol premium and diesel are about $5.50 so $1.45 per liter.

From historical memory I seem to recall some people saying they were at like $4 per liter so we are still not even close to that.  I'm just wondering if those people are now at like $8 per liter? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadman59

Filled it up last Saturdaynight here in the Netherlands with premium ethanol-free gas (Shell V-power).

It was 2.729 Euro per liter.

Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Caddyholic

Does that work out to $10.64 dollars a gallon?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

cadman59

Quote from: Caddyholic on June 13, 2022, 12:55:27 PMDoes that work out to $10.64 dollars a gallon?

Yes, that's it.
Not funny....

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: TJ Hopland on June 13, 2022, 11:33:31 AMI know in the USA we complain a lot about the prices and we shouldn't because we tend to have it pretty good.

We had it better 16 months ago when it was $2 gallon vs national average of $6 gallon now.
Comment made simply for historical reference.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

signart

If we all just stop driving for two weeks, we can flatten the curve.
Art D. Woody

dn010

I have heard this comparison many times over the last few decades and one thing we all forget is this: You can't really compare US prices with EU prices considering some of the EU gas tax goes towards things like socialized medicine etc. We may be paying lower fuel prices but we pay premiums instead to make up the difference.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on June 13, 2022, 11:33:31 AMI know in the USA we complain a lot about the prices and we shouldn't because we tend to have it pretty good.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

foxsnout

Quote from: cadman59 on June 13, 2022, 12:00:57 PMFilled it up last Saturdaynight here in the Netherlands with premium ethanol-free gas (Shell V-power).

Yes, it's bad ....but why fill up your old school gas guzzler with premium gas? There is no need for shell v-power! This is a waste of money. Regular gas in Germany is about 1,90€ per liter.
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1973 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1952 Buick Super
1952 Fabulous Hudson Hornet Race Car #92
1973 Chrysler New Yorker

60eldo

Just curious , who was president 16 months ago when gas was only $2.00 a gallon
Jon. Kluczynski

Jason Edge

I'm not sure I read it here, or where but since this is regarding US vs UK & Europe gas price comparison, I thought it was worth repeating (and forgive me if I don't quote it exactly as originally written):
"While those in the US think 100 years old is old, those in the UK & Europe think 100 miles is a long distance."

I am not a world traveler, or even a worldly US traveler, but I noted that since picking up my 2013 Escalade in Houston last July, this stay at home retired dude has put 13,000 miles on that vehicle ... and I have 3 other Cadillacs I drive!  Just a few jaunts from North Carolina to Florida, Indiana, Texas, Georgia and here and there has really added up for this retired dude.  The point is for most of us going somewhere often means 1000 miles. Go 1000 miles in Europe and you are a world traveler.

One other observation I made way back, was my 1st trip to the UK in 2006. Gas was 99 pence per liter in the UK. Doing the math it ended up about $4.50 a gallon.. and that was in 2006!  It humbled me a bit... but back to the first point, we often have to travel a lot more, and maybe some of our lower gas prices has something to do with economies of scale... but don't want to overthink it! LOL

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cadman59

Quote from: foxsnout on June 13, 2022, 05:29:22 PMYes, it's bad ....but why fill up your old school gas guzzler with premium gas? There is no need for shell v-power! This is a waste of money. Regular gas in Germany is about 1,90€ per liter.

That's because Shell V-power is, together with BP Ultimate, the only gas without Ethanol at all.
With gas with ethanol my '59 tends to suffer (more) from vapour lock, and it just runs better on the ethanol-free gas.

Besides that, even Shell Regular Euro95 (E10, 10% of ethanol) is €2.369 over here in the Netherlands. And at gasstations beside the highways it is even more expensive. That's the reason lots of Dutch people in the border area go to Germany just to fill there gastank.

I used to run on Competition102 which was even better, but that is not sold anymore. At least not in my surroundings.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: foxsnout on June 13, 2022, 05:29:22 PM
Quote from: cadman59 on June 13, 2022, 12:00:57 PMFilled it up last Saturdaynight here in the Netherlands with premium ethanol-free gas (Shell V-power).

Yes, it's bad ....but why fill up your old school gas guzzler with premium gas? There is no need for shell v-power! This is a waste of money. Regular gas in Germany is about 1,90€ per liter.

Why use VPower type fuel in our "old school gas guzzlers"? Because we like our engines? Just a guess...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: signart on June 13, 2022, 03:52:58 PMIf we all just stop driving for two weeks, we can flatten the curve.

You just won the thread.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

TJ Hopland

Are the fuel prices sometimes different on the borders than they are further in?   I'm very close to a state border and see that here.  I'm not sure if the sellers are doing that all on their own to compete or if maybe they get some sort of discounts or rebates from the government?   If its literally an open border how could you compete if say there is a $1 difference in the taxes on the other side of the street?   They could be paying the same for the product so who would go to the more expensive side?

Are there any places where there is some sort of regional or national pricing?  Like the whole state or country has a set price?   Or is it like the USA where its in theory an open market?

Hillbillycat

I´m in Germany and we have about four gas stations in our little town. Each has their own price (varies a few cents per liter) and I also can´t understand why people fill up at the more expensive station 100 meters down the road.
We had 2,30 Euro per liter last month, now government dropped prices nationwide about 30 cents but that is for a three month period only.

Oh, and overe here the gas price fluctuates a few times per day - up to 15 cents/liter difference. Typically when lot´s of people are on the road the price is high. Low during noon and around 8pm.

And yes, you´re right on distances and health care. Car and parts prices are pricier here in Germany, too. So you´d really need to see the whole to judge.

Happy cruising - I do today, regardless the gas price:-)

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Hillbillycat on June 17, 2022, 05:05:54 AMWe had 2,30 Euro per liter last month, now government dropped prices nationwide about 30 cents but that is for a three month period only.

Oh, and overe here the gas price fluctuates a few times per day - up to 15 cents/liter difference

How does the government drop the price? Do they set the wholesale prices?  Or is it the politicians allowing a temp reduction in the taxes or something like that?

I'm amazed that the throughout the day prices don't vary like that in the USA.  I'm guessing there must be some sort of law that prevents that or they would be doing it.   

Blade

Gas prices are all about control, just a couple of months ago I was watching a documentary where they briefly talked about one of the biggest oil fields in Canada, they said just at that place there is enough oil to supply entire Canada for the next 400 years! Same in the US, lots of oil that companies are sitting on just to get the prices they want .. but then this is why I am now riding my motorcycle regularly again instead of driving my cars (weather permitting).

dn010

I'd imagine they did the same thing as what NY governor did, which was announced a suspension of certain fuel taxes in order to reduce the price at the pump for a period of time, I think December. However, on the gas station side, many of them are refusing to lower their price right away because they already had to pay the increased cost/tax for the fuel in their underground tanks and would lose that money if they sold it at a lower cost to the customer. Right now, they are paying nearly the same (In upstate NY at least) as we are in Florida, and typically they pay more than us so perhaps it is working for them to some extent.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Hillbillycat

Tax reduction it is. But as you can imagine, prices had "suddenly" risen a few days prior to that tax reduction. I think it were the stations that had just filled up their underground tanks, but we also had empty stations also. Never had that seen happening before. Maybe these station owners had gambled upon how long their gas lasts hold before fillup of the tanks and tax reduction.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Blade on June 17, 2022, 11:03:01 AMGas prices are all about control, just a couple of months ago I was watching a documentary where they briefly talked about one of the biggest oil fields in Canada, they said just at that place there is enough oil to supply entire Canada for the next 400 years! Same in the US, lots of oil that companies are sitting on just to get the prices they want .. but then this is why I am now riding my motorcycle regularly again instead of driving my cars (weather permitting).

Bull crap. Here in the States big oil was making money at $3 a gallon, any business school drop out would know at $7 a gallon it would make sense to drill. The "leases" are on properties that don't have any oil, the leases for the few areas that do have oil, the Biden Administration revoked all the provisions Trump put into place for pipe lines, EPA reductions, etc to expedite the drilling and refining. The leases for the properties that had a TON of oil, Anwar etc were simply rescinded by the Biden Administration. This isn't opinion, you can Google all this. Gas is costing a fortune because its costing Big Oil a fortune to get that gas to your local station now. Instead of pumping oil in Oklahoma, they're bringing in (fossil fuel burning) ships from the middle east loaded with oil to meet demand. That's expensive. If you did a cost/profit sheet for these guys now, they're making the same amount of profit at $7 as they were at $3. Its costing them more to get it to you, you're paying for that. And its all intentional.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville