News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Worth mention of some Cadillacs in recent pop culture

Started by V63, June 19, 2022, 12:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V63

There is a young A LIST pop music artist, Karol G of Colombian decent that has found her way to The very top music charts.

I notice that 2 1970's Cadillacs featured in her videos. A 1973 fleetwood brougham (of all things) and another video featuring a cream 1976 Eldorado convertible with parade boot.  . While that alone is amazing ...

Both cars appear Totally stock!!! 😳

A song (official video) of particular appeal is "A Ella" she sings about a boyfriend with wandering eyes but closes with a new one driving a 2016? Corvette while also the young man
possesses some etiquette.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

V63

I do understand, nor surprised ...it's just nice to see the appreciation of original vintage Cadillacs by a significant contemporary pop artist.

jwwseville60

The Prius or all the Teslas will never have the romance or the glory of old Cadillacs.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Lexi

Too much I agree. That "music" was horrific. Still, nice to see the prominent place they gave the old Caddy. Mute to enjoy. Clay/Lexi

V63

Her music might be horrific by some,  🙉

her bank accounts sing 🎶

enthusiastically it's praises 🤩

There are few parents that appreciated music their offspring gravitated...

present company included?

Lexi

Quote from: V63 on June 26, 2022, 06:27:22 PMHer music might be horrific by some,  🙉

her bank accounts sing 🎶

enthusiastically it's praises 🤩

There are few parents that appreciated music their offspring gravitated...

present company included?

As a generality you are correct but not at all in my case. I actually enjoyed my parent's music (Swing and Al Jolson), at the time I was attending Heavy Metal concerts. I also loved my kids music from the 80s - '90s including most of the High Energy Dance and Euro Dance material from that era. Myself I love Heavy Metal, Heavy Psychedelia, Symphonic Metal and Classical. There is surprisingly a lot of commonality in these musical styles-just the arrangements are vastly different so the similarities are often not detected by an untrained ear. So I have a wide variety of listening tastes.

Much of the new music however is stripped down-lots of raw power on a bare chassis, and often intentionally offensive. Mainly poetry laid down over beats. Not enough substance there for me, but to each their own. Most of the young people today have a limited knowledge of what went on musically before them because the business markets that art form as a commodity. A little like our vintage cars. Most young people are largely unaware of their automotive heritage. Some parallels there. Understandable but regrettable. But in response to your comment, I liked my kid's music and even attended shows with them. Clay/Lexi

V63

Did your swing and al Jolson parents appreciate the "heavy metal concerts" you were attending?

Wbostoen

There are actually quite a few of 'recent' pop songs featuring Cadillacs, there will undoubtedly be more but these came to my mind:

A '76 eldo in 'prayer by C, by robin schulz (from Germany)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiore9Z5iUg&ab_channel=RobinSchulz

A '75 eldo in 'la thune by angèle (from Belgium)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YX8zlR4BU&ab_channel=Ang%C3%A8le

Another '76 eldo in 'glorious' by Macklemore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OrLroFa0AI&ab_channel=MacklemoreLLC

And lastly a whole song exclusively about Cadillacs  :D  'white walls' also by Macklemore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLifPUIuic&list=RD8PLifPUIuic&start_radio=1&ab_channel=MacklemoreLLC

Lexi

Quote from: V63 on July 02, 2022, 12:40:44 AMDid your swing and al Jolson parents appreciate the "heavy metal concerts" you were attending?

I like Big Band era music and I also attended a Benny Goodman concert, many, many years ago (on my own). He was awesome. Took some Super 8mm film footage of the show, (this predated the home video era). My parents had mixed feelings for Metal (pronounced " 'Evy Meh-al", if you are British). Mom liked some of it and was more accepting. Having a background in Dance and professional Ballet, her big issue with Metal was that you can't dance to most of it. Musically she was fine with the more thoughtful pieces I played her. I told her it was basically listening music though, (or head banging music LOL), and it does not translate as well in the dance arena. I even got Mom to attend a Heavy Metal concert which she actually liked. It was KISS. She also liked the theatrics. Got her into a little Iron Maiden as well. Dad hated Metal and called it "Heavy Tin", LOL. He readily admitted that he was not in the least musically inclined and disliked most music. One day I had the worst music on at least for him, Heavy Metal Punk. A lot of Punk ('70s era, not '60s Garage Punk), was quite "light weight", though lyrically was different to say the least. The Metal influenced Punk was another story. Mostly poorly played Metal in my opinion. Some good music but oddly catalogued as in most record stores Motorhead and Blondie were filed away under the new catch-all "punk" header card.  These bands sounds are as far apart as night and day. Anyhow, Metal and Heavy Punk were basically anathema to most people born before 1935 for a number of reasons. So one day I was blasting the Sex Pistols which caused Dad to explode in a tirade.

I told him that the music is quite good though it is the arrangement and vocals that you don't like. Let's face it, Johnny Rotten's vocals were, well "rotten" in some ways, but they were intended to be and suited the material in an odd sort of way. Dad said I would NEVER convince him that music had any merit. So I asked him what he would do if I was able to convince him otherwise? He replied that he would never make fun of my music again. So, I had 2 turn tables at the time and cued up 2 versions of the same Sex Pistols song called "EMI". One was from the Pistol's debut album, while the second was a fully orchestrated version from the Swindle soundtrack LP with Steve Jones as I recall handling the vocals, (which were admittedly amaturish). But musically it sounded fantastic like one of the great Masters had written it. It is a very layered number, with a lot going on.

Well I began by cueing the first, loud, Metallic punker version with Johnny Rotten singing. Dad right away said "Turn that s___ t off"! Then I cued the orchestrated version. He sat and listened to it all, and at the end he said "Aside from the fact they should shoot the SOB that did the vocals, that was not bad". I told him that it was the same song. He did not believe me so having a mixing board handy I cued both songs and aligned them via headphones, to play at exactly the same place. They were synchronized in other words. Then using a splitter box I did what is known as an "A-B" comparison which involved me toggling back and forth so one could listen to both pieces of music at almost the same time-with little break in between. You can pick out the similarities in melody but while ignoring the arrangement. It is imperative that the music is cued up exactly to enable a better comparison especially as one's musical retention especially for sound quality is extremely limited in time.

Well Dad at first agued that it was not the same piece of music then like a switch was thrown he came to realize that they were indeed the same song, just the product of different arrangements. He got up and said that I had made my point and he seemed quite surprised, even shocked, especially as this was also an original Sex Pistols song.  I explained the history of music is full of "volume freaks", replete with ever expanding technology to increase volume to fill venues-even dating back to the era of powdered wigs were some instruments were enlarged to produce more sound pressure levels especially by expanding bass lines. It goes back centuries, so "Heavy Music" is just the current example of what humans have been doing for centuries. Hollowed out tree trunks among tribal music was an ingenious way of further extending bass lines which would culminate centuries later with the advent of infinite baffle speaker technology, etc. The current crop of some modern music such as rap is just another expression of what has gone on for many years, just that much of it lacks layering as the song structures are different. Not much to it. Stripped down for speed like a gasser automobile racer but not much for the connoisseur, but it serves a different purpose. A lot of metal is also similar especially the faster it gets as less time for the notes to ring and form so the song structure often suffer. Like a prize fighter they go straight for the gut. Anyhow, Dad was good to his word as he replied "I will never make fun of your music again", then pointing at the Sex Pistols LP he said that (style) music was still "S___". LOL

It was memorable for me as it was the ONLY time I ever won an argument with Dad! He was fantastic and even let me park all sorts of monstrosity vintage Cadillacs in his driveway when I lived at home and worked on them. A greasy, smelling mess everywhere. Mom and Dad were both cool with that. Then he helped build a shed to store all of my '50s Caddy parts AND also attended pick and pull salvage yards with me to lend a hand. Car parts found there way into my parent's attic as well and my room which was stuffed full of them, even in my closet. He only said NO to one planned purchase of mine, when I wanted to bring home a late 19th century horse drawn carved panel Hearse complete with oval glass viewing windows "Clay what will the neighbors think? Beside we have nowhere to park it and work on it. A vehicle like that has to be properly stored". Of course under those circumstances he was right. We had no garage and nowhere to put it.

As a side bar when I worked in Law Enforcement we were often in the Clubs and I noted that much of the music (as it was also in the past), was more a reason to get out & dance and meet people and not concentrate on the music itself. It is the backdrop for many in which to meet and greet. It also constitutes more of a life style for some and even a fashion statement to many young people as Punk and Metal were to many of its followers. The "music" was sometimes secondary to them. Anyhow, RIP Dad. you were the greatest. Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

My mom (RIP) loved 'swing', Big Band music, etc.
She also took me to an Aerosmith show at the Boston Garden in 1973, bought the tickets from a scalper on the
street, and politely refused all the joints offered to her by the crowd standing with us at the front of the stage.

What a great memory, thanks to who ever started this thread...
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all