News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tragedy with the LaSalle

Started by wheikkila, May 24, 2022, 06:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheikkila

That is why I posted about this. It brings home how fast a simple thing can go completely wrong. I can't tell you how many commercial shops I have been in. With no fire extinguishers insight or anywhere around. Sadly they didn't think anything about it. I keep a fire extinguisher in every vehicle.
                               Thanks wayne

Jamurray

Wayne, your troubles make mine, a suddenly seized rebuilt '41 engine, look rather small.

Carfreak

Quote from: wheikkila on May 28, 2022, 08:22:27 PM

I keep a fire extinguisher in every vehicle.
                               Thanks wayne

Two is better. 

It seems like most persons who have experienced a car burning have always said they wish they had a second extinguisher.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The thing about Fire Extinguishers is to have more than one, have them handy near a work bench, and near an exit.

Plus, have them sufficiently large enough that if all else fails, they can be used as a tool to throw against a window to gain a quick and easy exit.

In my Garage, I have 9 and a Fire Blanket.   Water ones in the Wood-working area, and Foam and Powder ones in the other areas.

What ever you do, get rid of the Yellow BCF ones, as I had a fire in my old garage, 25 years ago, and I am still cleaning the acidic mess of some tools, caused by the mixture of the fire retardant and the smoke.   Really stained the tools, even though the flames were 10 feet away.   These BCF ones have been banned for many years, due to problems with the Ozone Layer, and I found out another reason why.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Plus, know where yours are, and how to use them.   Plus, don't use them as hangers.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wheikkila

Good Evening Everyone
Well the word came yesterday, that the LaSalle is a total loss. I will be working with them to finalize the transfer of the car. I'm now looking for a replacement vehicle. I hope it will be another LaSalle model 52. But we will have to see.
            Thanks Wayne

dochawk

My sympathies on the car, and moreso for your own burns.

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on May 29, 2022, 01:11:48 AMThe thing about Fire Extinguishers is to have more than one, have them handy near a work bench, and near an exit.

Also, and less obvious . . . know how to operate the silly thing ahead of time!

A few years ago, a friend's father was in town and the three of us went to work swapping out the spark wires (which had apparently been installed in a random order unknown to GM, but still managed to run [well, somewhat, at 4MPG])

A 500cid engine, gasoline, three irishman, and beer . . . what could possibly go wrong?
 :o

What went wrong is the float stuck on the just rebuilt carburetor!

So when it turned over, with the air filter not on, it simply started spouting gas up, landing on them block. 

I desperately signaled to my friend over the roar to cut the engine, by which time the flames had started.

I dashed to the kitchen for the fire extinguisher, but by that point my reading glasses had fallen off, and I couldn't read the labels.

He was trying to blot it out with his jacket.  I shoved it into his hands, and . . .

well, I had never stop to wonder what a fire extinguisher tastes like, but now I know that it's baking soda . . .

But no harm done; we got it out in time.

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

pciexcellence71@yahoo.com

Terrible story!  Sorry to hear of your injuries but it sounds like you were able to get through without being hurt too bad.  It's amazing how fast things can go so bad, and a lesson to all of us that it can easily happen to anyone.  God Bless you for a fast recovery, your condition is most important.  Best wishes for the car as well.

76 cadillac bob

NOthing including a classic car is worth what you have been through. Please keep a positive thought and know all of us are thinking of you with your recovery. I am so sorry. I had a carb fire years ago in a 1969 chevy was able to put it out. Having been in the insurance industry, please be sure to explore all avenues to make a full recovery and dont pay the bills until your insurance has been billed and you have received an explanation of benefits, as they will try to get every dime they can.
God Bless You
Bob