News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can drum brakes be balanced?

Started by 5390john, June 22, 2022, 07:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5390john

In the never ending quest to isolate a vibration in my '55 CDV, the question came up, is it possible to check and if necessary, rebalance the brake drums?
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

The Tassie Devil(le)

In a word, Yes.

I have seen many brake drubs with Balance Weights attached to the steel portion of the mounting flange which is bade of steel.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jon S

Brake drums come balanced from the factory and have weights welded to the outside of the drum. The simplest way to balance a tire and brake drum is to spin the tire on the axle and there are machines that tell you where to apply the weights to the rim. This way your brake drum rim and tire are perfectly balanced
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

fishnjim

might be easier to get a good one and swop it out, one by one, til you find the one that's causing the issue.  Make sure the tire and rim is spin balanced first.  If they were cut properly, should not be out of round.  It's possible to cut them out of round if not mounted correctly.  But the remaining thickness should be obvious to cause problems.  Plus it should shudder more during braking than just rolling.
How's the spindles?   Are they worn down were the bearing races sit?   May need to be filled and cut back.
Some of these early rims are riveted, and can corrode or come loose in the gap and cause issues.
Maybe some other wear suspension issues that are contributing to make a small issue large.

walt chomosh #23510

J,
  I had a vibration in my 1955CDV and struggled to find it! My issue turned out to be my motor mounts! I ended up having to ream the engine block mounting holes (for the mounts) oversize for bigger bolts. (the block holes were wallowed out) Problem solved!....walt...tulsa,ok