News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac no dash lights on. Advice appreciated

Started by 62eldofan, June 26, 2022, 07:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62eldofan

Dash lights not working on my 1961 Cadillac convertible. Advice appreciated.

35-709

Would suspect headlight switch.  Part of the headlight switch function, when turned left or right, is to increase/decrease the dash light bulbs' brightness.  That part of the switch is subject to fatal wear and/or breaking in two.  If that is an original switch, its dashboard light life span has exceeded most, or has been used little.  Sometimes they can be repaired, depending on the failure mode, often it means a new switch.  There may be those here that can fix that troublesome part of the headlight switch.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

There are several places that can rebuild headlight switches.  Among others, McVey's does it, and I think Cadillac Tim might do it as well.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I would rotate the dimmer about 50 times. I did this and it seemed to clean the contacts. It works now.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Michael Petti

I had the same issue on my 60. The rheostat had deteriorated beyond repair. Replaced it and it solved the problem.  In some cases, it can be cleaned. Either solution requires removing it which can be done by loosening the screws holding the switch together and sliding it out, not disassembling the whole thing. You will need a tool to remove the switch. I think O.P.G.I has it.

Poncholover

I have a couple on the shelf, where are you located?
Flattie Caddy

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible