News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

pertronix ignition for a '53 331

Started by bullet bob, June 26, 2022, 09:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

Guys, I need some input. Getting the points set just right on this thing is causing me to rethink the whole idea of maintaining it's originality, especially if it's not noticeable. So, I'm looking long & hard at converting over. Been looking at a Pertronix system. Haven't really researched any other brands. Am I making a mistake in going this route? Something better out there? Thanks all.
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Dave Shepherd

Done about 6 of these Pertronix conversions 6 and 12v in my shop.  So far no issues.  Make sure to use the correct coil.

Joe Jensen

I put the Pertronix ignition on my '49 about 2 years ago.  No issues so far.  However, I do carry the points system in the trunk just in case.

Good luck!
Joe

TonyZappone #2624

Pertonix on '47 and '58 for ten years.  Like a rebirth, better starting, acceleration, etc. Also installed it on a 1936 other make with dual points.  A revelation!
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Just be sure you get the full 12v out there instead of the spun down voltage.
I had a petronix in our 70. Removed it when trying to troubleshoot a problem and never put it back. Our 55 has points.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

signart

Running points in my '53 the last 20 years, I just put in a fresh set (nos) with new plugs after a long sleep over the dampanic. Set them to specs, and after getting it started, check with dwell meter and make final adjustments to 30 degrees. Fergitaboudit.
I do have pertronics in my tri-power 327 Chebby, very tight quarters for maintenance there because of the rear carb. No probs with it so far.
I think correct coil as mentioned is worth consideration.
Art D. Woody

Jay Friedman

Personally, I prefer points in my 1949 331.  They let you know when they are wearing out, I can buy NOS Delco points on ebay and I buy brand new correct condensers from the Madison Tractor Co.  The motor runs perfectly.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

35-709

I have installed several Pertronix systems, never a failure, they have worked well for me.   Will probably put a Pertronix II in my Bonneville soon.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Lexi

Installed them in my '56 back in 2020 and no issues so far. I also installed the recommended coil for this product. Clay/Lexi

Ed Eckhart #12747

Installed in my 57 10 years ago. No problems.

Ed E.

Paul

Don't do it!! I tried it at the suggestion of others on my '59 — and the pertronix went out on me a couple months after install on a hot day. I swapped back out to points and never looked back. Starts fine, runs well. These cars were designed well and you should maintain the originality of it...with the original components. Not a fan of pertronix at all. As far as I'm concerned, not necessary. Good luck.
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Use the correct Pertronix coil with the Pertronix... The difference, is cosmic.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

5390john

I have a restored '55 CDV, all stock 331 with Pertronix and correct coil. NO PROBLEMS!!
Also have all new wiring harness with a Powergen alternator so I know the central nervous system is fully functional.
I HIGHLY recommend Pertronix but DON'T DO half the job, put the correct coil in and make sure you have wiring in perfect condition.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

bullet bob

Well thanks guys. As with most things, it seems like there are pro & cons. Guess I'm just getting tired leaning over that fender, trying to get the point gap set just right. Who in the heck puts a distributor buried behind the engine, and no little window to adjust the points? Geesh.......

Lexi

Yeah, what mad man decided to hide the distributor way back there? At least I had the adjustment window on mine so your car must be '55 or earlier. That is a real pain especially as one gets older. That is why I changed mine. Clay/Lexi

TJ Hopland

Did anyone else have the window or was that just GM V8's 55-74?  Oddly I don't think I have ever owned one of those, mine seemed to be inlines where they didn't give you the window. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bullet bob

Quote from: Jay Friedman on June 27, 2022, 11:57:56 AMPersonally, I prefer points in my 1949 331.  They let you know when they are wearing out, I can buy NOS Delco points on ebay and I buy brand new correct condensers from the Madison Tractor Co.  The motor runs perfectly.
OK, I'll bite. How do you know when points are wearing out? I don't know.....

Jay Friedman

The motor will start missing and, in general, run poorly and less powerfully. What happens is that over time the contact surfaces of the points become pitted. 
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jay Friedman

The window in the distributor (and a different points set) was introduced in '56.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, the window was put there so that the points gap could be set when the engine was running, hence the Dwell Measurement.

Prior to the Window, the points gap was adjusted using a feeler gauge.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon