News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1952 series 62 Seat belts

Started by Technician!, August 13, 2022, 06:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technician!

I have searched and found where folks have put front seat belts in their early post war caddies, but can get no specific information on how to pass the belt between the backrest and seat cushion. Any constructive, experienced help is appreciated.
Perfection bordering insanity

Joe Jensen

Here are a couple pictures of how I did it.  I damaged the carpet but it needs to be replaced anyway.  I would suggest using a soldering iron to melt thru the carpet to make the bolt holes.  Maybe there is a better way.  If you fine a better way please let me know.

When I fold the seat forward to get access to the rear seats it opens up plenty of room to pass the belt

Good luck!
Joe

The Tassie Devil(le)

As you have found out, the seat belting needs a direct line to the floor attaching point, as any additional travel, as in under the back, and over the base lip, can create a stretching point in the event of a crash, possibly rendering the seat belt as just a pretty thing, and not holding the occupant within the confines.   There are great pressures when the car stops, and the human body is still moving.

What has to be done is to "simply" cut a slot in the seat base, and pass the webbing through.

I said Simply, but it is a little bit more than that.

You need to replicate what Cadillac did from 1979 onwards with the bench seat, and insert a nylon sleeve to tidy up the area, and protect the webbing from being abraded if it touches the seat springs.

The last lot of pictures show how I treated a '69 SDV that was reupholstered without the Seat Belts, but they had to go back.   The original fitting was not anywhere to be found, so I installed a sleeve of upholstery material to the seat cover.

You have to remember that it may be necessary to perform some surgery to the seat springs directly beneath the "slot" as the seat belt needs clearance as the seat moves forward and backwards.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Technician!

Thank you all.  Mine is a 4 door, with a fixed front seat.  When I stick my hand down between the back rest and seat cushion, there is no opening between them.  Anyone have experience in removing the seat back from the frame?  Earlier models had a removable seat cushion, but mine is all one piece.
I am, however, familiar with the geometry required for installation once I am able to pass the belt through to the floor.
Perfection bordering insanity