News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

34-36 Gauges

Started by Artistic Precision, November 19, 2022, 09:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artistic Precision

Got another buddy building a 34 in need of a couple dash gauges to complete his cluster. Need the black face gauges. Temp and Oil it looks like. Looks like he is also missing a nob or something on the top right. See pic.

35-709

The knob missing on the top right is the starter pushbutton knob, it looks just like the headlight knob on the far left.  I have an ammeter and water temperature gauge for a '35 (both refurbished and not cheap, but, then again, I have no use for them).  Believe mine are tan faced but I can check tomorrow.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

Here's a guy selling a complete set on eBay --- eBay item #184518685740.
Instrument Services - clocksandgauges.com  can rebuild them and have the trim rings rechromed.  Have your credit card paid down.   :)
By the way, mine have tan faces.

Ooops, no ammeter but I guess you don't need that anyway.  Are these going in a resto-modded car?

Artistic Precision

Quote from: 35-709 on November 19, 2022, 07:38:27 PMHere's a guy selling a complete set on eBay --- eBay item #184518685740.
Instrument Services - clocksandgauges.com  can rebuild them and have the trim rings rechromed.  Have your credit card paid down.   :)
By the way, mine have tan faces.

Ooops, no ammeter but I guess you don't need that anyway.  Are these going in a resto-modded car?

Thanks. Got a pic of your temp gauge? I have the tan faces in my car. The temp is a little different color than the others. Maybe darkened from sun exposure, Im guessing.

I'm not sure how my friend is building his 34. Ive never seen it. He just shared some pictures of the dash he has been working on restoring.

35-709

Pics. of the temp gauge and ammeter I have.  Both have been completely refurbished and the chrome trim ring around the gauge has been re-chromed.  Between labor charges, repair and cleaning, and rechroming the trim ring I probably have well over $200 in the temp gauge alone, make me an offer.  The ammeter would be something less.

The reason(s) I asked if these gauges might be going in a resto-mod ---
1. The temp gauge is calibrated to show straight up in the normal range based on a ~150 degree thermostat opening the shutters.  Using it with a modern engine and cooling system with a 180/195 thermostat, the gauge will read Hot all the time and would be pretty useless --- it will need to be re-calibrated.  Instrument Services can do that.
2. The ammeter isn't designed to carry the load of a modern electrical system.  They can be converted to a volt meter retaining the original look.  The middle (or 0) will be 12 volts, when the engine is running and the alternator charging, the needle will move slightly to the right to show the additional voltage.  With the engine off and (for instance) the headlights on (or the alternator not charging) the needle will move to the left of the "0" to show the voltage drop because of the load.  Some interpreting is required, but it is easy to get used to and retains the original look.   

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I may have one or two oil pressure gauges. I think they have white faces?? Advise if you want me to check. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.