News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Caddy continental kit

Started by jwwseville60, September 21, 2022, 10:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing about this one is that the person who made it did the right thing with the rear fenders and made it look like it should have been there.

But, as I say with all these things that get put onto cars, they should be made to actually work, and not be there for show.   I doubt that there is an actual tyre under the cover, as the dimentions don't look right.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

dochawk

in the case of this eldorado, though, it puts *so* much length behind the rear wheels, that it makes the porch look like a footrest pedal meant to rock the car back on the rear wheels, lifting the front drive wheels from the ground!
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Gay and I rode to supper with a couple of Indiana Region Members on the way to the Des Moines GN. Their ride was a 1950 CDV with a continental kit. Our overnight stop was one of the Quad Cities that was quite hilly.

On one of the brick paved streets, going up a very steep hill, my friend had to really work at it to keep the rear end of the kit from dragging on the pavement. (Gay must have put on a pound or two...It couldn't have been me contributing to the drag.)

He also had to really hit the gas to get to the top. Also, the next morning on I-80 we were in heavy truck traffic and he was driving about 55 mph. And all I could see in my rear view mirror was all those large chromed bumpers of the 18 wheelers roaring up behind me.

We had walkie-talkies and I had Gay call them and tell them that our route at the next exit was to get off and we'd finish the trip on US 30 a few miles to the north. That was much more relaxing!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Barry,

The Ground Clearance problem is another matter I take into account when making mine.

Plus, I have strengthened the tow bar on mine to act as a skid plate just in case I encounter the problem, but, thus far, never had it touch.   Further, the ALC keeps the rear up where it should be.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Lexi

Bruce, your mechanical acumen never ceases to amaze me. Ground clearance could be an issue with some of these units. Something to consider should I venture into building my own. Clay/Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on September 25, 2022, 06:10:54 PMThe factory option for a continental kit was a one year
only and that was 1957.  All the others were aftermarket.

Mike

That is correct although it was offered as a dealer installed accessory only and not from the factory. Not certain how it conforms to the CLC judging guideline "as built" however.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 28, 2022, 09:30:55 AMThat is correct although it was offered as a dealer installed accessory only and not from the factory. Not certain how it conforms to the CLC judging guideline "as built" however.

Good point. There were other accessories back then that look sort of "factory" that were actually dealer installed such as the Fog lights on my '56. I would think if the Judges knew that they were no longer there as installed by the dealer before the buyer took possession, and who since had them removed, I imagine that I would take a point deduction. Would the dealer be considered as the last link in the "build" chain prior to the buyer taking possession of the new vehicle. I would think so. But how would they know if a change since had taken place? Clay/Lexi

Quote from: Lexi on September 28, 2022, 01:58:00 PMGood point. There were other accessories back then that look sort of "factory" that were actually dealer installed such as the Fog lights on my '56. I would think if the Judges knew that they were no longer there as installed by the dealer before the buyer took possession, and who since had them removed, I imagine that I would take a point deduction. Would the dealer be considered as the last link in the "build" chain prior to the buyer taking possession of the new vehicle. I would think so. But how would they know if a change since had taken place? Clay/Lexi

Would make a great question for the man in the red coat!  ;D

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would have thought that the "as built" would end as soon as the vehicle physically left the selling dealers' floor, and the first owner took possession of it.

Any further bits fitted to the vehicle, would not be included in the "as built", unless they were on back-order at the time.

A bit like when cars left the Factory at the start of production at the cessation of hostilities in 1946 with parts that physically were not available to complete the build, but the cars had to be moved to facilitate room on the production line, and storeage.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 28, 2022, 04:23:45 PMI would have thought that the "as built" would end as soon as the vehicle physically left the selling dealers' floor, and the first owner took possession of it.

Where you run into trouble with that is aftermarket items that were added at the dealership. These will receive authenticity deductions. This is the reason for the "as built" language.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Eric brings up a very important point.  When judging,
"as built" does not include added items non-approved
by Cadillac.  This can be problematic (for the judge)
since the car's owner may have paperwork showing the
items on his invoice from the dealer.  However, it's
still an authenticity deduction unless you have
documentation showing "approved Cadillac accessory".

For example, the 1957 continental kit is listed in the Master
Parts List from Cadillac.  Showing a copy of this to the Judge
would prove its authenticity if there was any question.

There is a large Cadillac dealer here in Pittsburgh
that was well known for putting lots of glitzy add-ons
to his cars, especially in the 70's - 80's.  It is a
nice added profit for the dealership.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Quentin Hall

I have a love/hate relationship with them. Admittedly I built one for my first car a 57 Sedan de Ville when I was 21. It balanced out the short rear deck on the 57 Sedan.
I just landed the remains of a one off 53 Eldo and it has the drill holes in rear valance and trunk for a Continental kit and I have one spare... but I'm not sure about reinstalling one.
They were aftermarket, probably in conjunction with a dealer in the period.
Early 50s cars wear them better than later 50s. NEVER put one on a 59 or 60 is the golden rule.
Time will tell.
So to answer the original question ...
They are bolted on and holes were drilled so if it is removed you will need to address the holes in the trunk lid and rear valance.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

QuoteEarly 50s cars wear them better than later 50s. NEVER put one on a 59 or 60 is the golden rule.

I agree.   Fitting a full-sized spart to the back of a post '58 car is a definite no-no, as the tyres are way too large, and therefore really hinder rearward vision.   This is why I went for the Space-saver.   The perfect unit to retain the flowing lines.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Lexi on September 28, 2022, 09:22:36 AMBruce, your mechanical acumen never ceases to amaze me. Ground clearance could be an issue with some of these units. Something to consider should I venture into building my own. Clay/Lexi
Thanks Clay.

When I design things, I try to take everything into account so that the end product looks like it was supposed to be there.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on September 28, 2022, 05:12:44 PMWhen judging, "as built" does not include added items non-approved
by Cadillac.  This can be problematic (for the judge)
since the car's owner may have paperwork showing the
items on his invoice from the dealer.  However, it's
still an authenticity deduction unless you have
documentation showing "approved Cadillac accessory".

I agree. Factory authorized accessories appearing in the MPL shouldn't receive a deduction.

dochawk

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 28, 2022, 05:34:55 PMNEVER put one on a 59 or 60 is the golden rule.

One of the biggest cloud pleasers in our region is a pink '59 with a continental kit.  [yeah, I know at least two reasons that makes it inauthetnic!]

He gets regular requests to bring it to other shows.

When he had his prior house built, they had to deviate from the standard plan so that "Big Pink" could fit in the garage . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Lexi

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 28, 2022, 07:23:47 PMI agree. Factory authorized accessories appearing in the MPL shouldn't receive a deduction.

Agreed. Clay/Lexi