News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 Eldorado thoughts

Started by seok, January 06, 2023, 04:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seok

Hey all, Im somewhat interested in this 67 Eldorado i seen for sale but I'm not knowledged in the 67-70 generation. Ive always loved that bodystyle and hoped to have one someday, but as I do more research, it seems im finding a lot of info about the 67 being pretty a difficult and expensive breed to maintain or repair when certain issues arise due to a lot on one year only parts, as well as hardly any available replacement parts. is this true? Out of the 67-70 is there any worse or better year than another with maint/repair in mind? What are some possible issues to pay attention to, or keep in mind, when purchasing one of these? future headaches? I dont mind the repair/restoration associated with buying older cars as ive fully restored my 68 Buick that ive now owned for 29yrs as well as maintained a few 79-80 Eldorados over the yrs, each having their own issues but nothing too dificult to overcome. Doing my research this 67 is starting to worrying me lol. I just dont want to get put in a position where I have a car I literally CANT find a part for, stuck without being able to get back on the road because of lack of part availabilty.  I dont mind the occassional treasure hunt or repair at all, my concern is putting time and money into a car I may not even be able to drive and enjoy because I physically CANT find something it needs. Or hidden gremlins dificult to find or troubleshoot. is this a valid concern specific to this car? or am I just LOOKING for issues and possibly scaring myself developing cold feet!
help me out Cadillac crew! Whats your thoughts/concerns on the 67 specifically as opposed to 68-70?
if theres a difference.

Thanks
Matt Dennison

80 Biarritz 455 Olds swap
64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
79 Eldorado Biarritz (sold )
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

Dave Shepherd

I worked for Cadillac during that period, my experience points to 1970 as the best of that generation and somewhat easier to maintain, but drivetrain repairs and the required parts can be difficult and expensive to get done.  Plus the people that are willing and capable of handling these issues are fading fast.  Before purchasing a car from this generation would require a comprehensive evaluation and proof of work claimed.

bcroe

That car does have some one year only parts, but
in many cases those from several years later can
be adapted.  It does have dual circuit front discs,
a must for me.  The switch pitch trans is a plus,
more so if you use an electronic pitch controller. 
The engine probably wants the highest octane fuel
($$$), but some have swapped in a low compression
'75/76 500 with a couple new trans mount holes. 
And pick up electronic ign and alternator in the
process. 

Lots of parts in that drive train can be swapped
with the 68-78 Toro/Eldo parts, also from the
well supported GMC motor home.good luck, Bruce Roe

joeinbcs

I've owned three '67's, two '68's and a '70.
There are a few items that can be hard to find...front wheel bearings come to mind.  But, these are well made cars.  If you find a good one, there's no reason to avoid any year. 
The '69 and '70 are the least troublesome, mainly because they have no covered headlights.  They're probably better values, as the covered headlight cars are more highly valued by the market. 
The '67 has many unique design details that make it more appealing to me.  One year only tail light design, louvers in the inside of the rear fenders, body colored front endcaps (where turn signals appeared in all other years, covered headlights. one year only interior without wood (real in '68, faux in '69/'70) on dash and doors...a more sporty look than in later years.  Wreath and crest on sail panels
You will probably have to replace the CV axles unless this has already been done, but this is pretty straightforward, and they are widely available. 
Couple of things I always look for...rust in the floorboards.  This is a problem area even on very low mileage cars.  I had a '67 with only 15K miles from new that had rust holes in the floorboard under the driver footwell (this car is now owned by Adam, who has the "Rare Classic Cars" YouTube channel).  There are no replacement floorboards, so you'll need to have one fabricated if the car you find has rust.  Not a show stopper, but a little more involved than in most cars.
A design flaw allows moisture to get into the driver side A-pillar, and many examples suffer rust in this area, so check to make sure there's none.
I personally prefer the slick top version.  All of my cars except the '70 were slick tops.  I replaced the vinyl top on the '70 I owned with the correct Tuxedo grain material, as someone had used Elk grain.  There was no rust at all under the top.  But, I know this is a huge issue on many vinyl top cars, which have rust under the vinyl.
These are great driving, wonderful cars to own.  Find a good one and you will never regret your purchase.  I will always own one, probably the one I have now.  Its not the best example I've owned, but it has the most interesting history.  Delivered new to an Air Force captain in Saigon, Vietnam, and in his ownership until 2015, when he sold it to his best car buddy, who I bought it from.  Good luck!
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

J. Skelly

Adding to all of the good information Joe provided, also look carefully at the base of the passenger-side A pillar and around the rear window for rust.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

joeinbcs

One other thing I forgot to mention.  The driver side interior door panel (specifically the place where your elbow rests) often cracks on all years.  This presents a dilemma.  Just Dashes will probably make you new door panels if you're willing to wait and pay quite a lot.  All years are vacuumed formed vinyl that's effectively impossible to repair...at least in my experience.  I have added a "topper" to a couple of cars...a color matched vinyl or leather covered length of wood of metal  (and padding) to one or two cars.  Its not ideal, and not correct, but if done right it can look decent enough, and can actually be comfortable while hiding the damage.
But, best to find a car with nice door panels and avoid all this if you can!
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

James Landi

I owned one as a daily driver, and LOVED it.  Adding to the list of concerns, the electric pass through for the window switches broke over time at the driver's side door.  Mine was a very early production model. THat little back window was electrified.  The "tell-tale" of early production being the placement of "E L D O R A D O" ---placement above or below, I can't remember-- it's been 40 years... the crease in the front fender.  In my car, that bunch of heavy gauge wires were protected with only an expanding rubber boot, and overtime, those wires got crimped and they broke. I wonder if they "fixed" that design flaw was later cars came off the line.  A very active CLC member way back in 1980, told me that I had a potential classic because of it was among the first few produced. 

K_Cassutt

My 67 Eldo was brought back to life from sitting since 1983. I am reluctant to run corn squeezings in her so she must stay in Montana where I can find high octane tea-totaller fuel.

V63

I noticed mention above of faux wood in 1969 ELDORADO but I thought that 1969 still offered genuine wood however 1970 models offered simulated wood? Maybe it was an eldorado thing?

I have had both a 1969 fleetwood and a deville convertible with genuine wood. 

J. Skelly

only the '68 Eldorado had real wood from that generation
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

billyoung

There is a Man nick named Eldorado George, George Kyritsis. He resides in Florida and has produced replacement actuators for 1967 and 68 Eldorado headlight doors. He has posted detailed videos on You Tube of how to repair/restore Cadillac problems. He is a great guy and knows what he is talking about. His parts are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.