News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Predicament ! Help 1990 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance

Started by NJCADDY, February 06, 2023, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJCADDY

Hi,
    i have seen this 1990 Brougham D' Elegance for sale locally, it has 169K miles, One Owner until last year. The over condition is Good for a 32 year old car, I took out the carfax and autocheck, both came out clear, no flood damage or any other issue, car registration was renewed at the local DMV continuously till 2020.

The Good:

Today i test drove it,
started right up,
ran fine for 10 miles test drive on local roads and Interstate,
Turn signals works, all dash light works,. radio worked with working antina (up and down)
all seats functions worked
windows worked although a little slow but all 4 worked.
transmission shifted fine

The Bad:

after the test drive i had the auto body shop lift the car up,
transmission was dry
rear diff was dry
there was an oil leak by the oil cooler
NO Rust what so ever
All window seals needs to be replaced as cracks were clearly visible
Rear filler was completely gone, i could see road under the license plate

Over all no major dings or issue w/ the body, its solid, top vinal cover is also solid. interior head liner Solid, couple of minor cracks on the top section of dash.

so the seller is asking $4900, i have made an offer of $3500, seller made counter for $3900.

Now i need all your help, in deciding if this is a good call. i am looking for a weekend cadillac not a daily.

All and any help is appreciated 🙏

V63

The 'bad' does not sound alarming? Because the miles are kinda high, counter again at $3,700 and that's it.

NJCADDY

badpoints

James Landi

These are great cars; however, mine is a highly cautionary comment:How do you plan to "use" this car, and what are your expections for repair and replacement costs for a car this age?  Flexible brake lines, if original, will internally collapse, and cause brake lockups...original radiator hoses can spring leaks, and original radiators, if not regularly flushed, can be full of scale will cause overheating issues when it's hot out and you're stuck in traffic. If your plan is to garage it, take out on nice days for short trips and not sustained highway driving, you could have a good deal of fun with it, however, getting stuck in a line of traffic approaching the Lincoln Tunnel in the August heat would be a horror you need to avoid,( even if someone gave you the car). All this is to say, the age of an automobile can seriously impact the reliability and therefore the service you expect from it-- if it's an occasional car for nice weather days, that you can enjoy, given its age, go for it--- those few hundred dollars on the price would be a rounding error if you're plan is to use this for long commutes in typical Jersey traffic.  Hope this helps with your decision.   James

benji808

I agree with other commentators. If interior is also nice it sounds like a reasonable price.

As James said, if you plan on driving it regularly id recommend budgeting $2k-$3k over the next year to inspect and potentially refresh brakes, cooling system, etc.

dinhnguyen57

I would just go with $3900.  The $200 is not significant. Why haggle?  The updating/maintenance is what the real cost is to buy the car, and that will likely be more than the cost of the car, if you are not planning on doing the work yourself.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

benji808

Quote from: benji808 on February 07, 2023, 09:05:54 AMI agree with other commentators. If interior is also nice it sounds like a reasonable price.

As James said, if you plan on driving it regularly I'd recommend budgeting $2k-$3k over the next year to inspect and potentially refresh brakes, cooling system, etc.