News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Eldorado Convertible

Started by yj4000, February 05, 2023, 06:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yj4000

Hello, I am trying to get an idea of the value a 56 Eldorado Convertible and figured this would be the place to ask. It is in rough shape. It was in a garage that the roof fell in but has since been repaired. The intake is off and not sure if it is in the car or not. The motor does turn by hand. I plan on going back when I have more time to get under it. There is some extra quarters but not in the greatest shape either. I really appreciate any help.

Thanks Ryan.

EDIT:: I will add that I am helping a co-worker who has this car and a couple others, the others are not Cadillacs. I do not plan on restoring it. I would like to make a fair offer for both of us and be able to make some funds to put into my other project car. I have a good idea what the other cars are worth. Just not the Cadillac. I have explained this to my co-worker.

V63

It's quite an ambitious a project at this point.

The dual carb 'assembly' is quite valuable and expensive to replace.

There is a 1956 Biarritz registry that might be interesting to find if it's listed as 'existing' .

The gold wheels were an available selection of no added cost.

Roger Zimmermann

Years ago, I bought a '56 Biarritz in a similar condition. I probably have about $ 100K in expenses without my own work. If you pay $ 5000 or $ 10'000 for that white car, at the end it makes not a big difference.

DSC02882.JPG
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

yj4000

Thanks for the replies. I have edited my original post with more info. I just would like some kind of idea. $2500? $5000? More, less.

Thanks again for any insight, Ryan.

Bryan J Moran

$2500. Let us know how it goes.   
CLC 35000 in number only

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Having restored a 1955 Eldorado I know how difficult parts are to find and how expensive a project like this can be.

In my opinion, you'll save yourself a lot of grief and money
by finding a better '56 Eldo to start with.  If you, for example, find a complete and running car for $20-$25k you'll be much further ahead.  This car is not a bargain at any price.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

Mike is dead on. I think most would steer clear of it. Chances are one can find a running car and come out ahead as Mike Josephic commented. No need to torture ones self with this project. Too many unknowns especially with having a roof fall on it, (even if claimed "repaired"). This car is probably worth more as parts rather than having to justify the ever soaring restoration costs. The only possible way to justify a purchase by a third party is if they do practically all of the work and had the resources and infrastructure to do so, unless money not an object. In that event there are enough running examples to purchase. So selling price? Wouldn't be surprised if worth less than $2,000. That may seem harsh, but trying to look at it realistically. We are also in an era where most 1950s cars have more or less not risen much in price over the last 10 years, (according to Hagerty), and specialty restoration and repair shops are disappearing. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the target market for such a car especially in this condition is shrinking as those who normally would be interested exit the hobby. And as others have pointed out, finding parts can be another horror story. Clay/Lexi

cadillac ken

Cars in this condition, of any Marque, are a tough sell. As many here have stated it's tough to get someone interested in "doing" the car-- even as just a driver-- since costs of everything is so expensive.  Not to mention the conundrum of it being both a rare and desirable car which makes finding parts like the crunched tail fin chrome, rear deck lid, 2x4 carb and intake (and air cleaner), and other rare parts that will need to be sourced.

I truly hate to say it but... it's probably a good donor car for someone.  As for the price as others here have said, probably about $2500.  If the top frame is in good usable (or repairable) condition, then that alone would be a selling point.

Everything has it's price and of course someone will buy it if it is cheap enough. Not trying to be disrespectful, just honest.

J. Skelly

I think the only 1950s cars that are easy to restore are the Tri-Five Chevies.  There is still a strong aftermarket parts supply for these.  Anything else is difficult to source parts for including Corvettes and Tri-Five Thunderbirds.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

walt chomosh #23510

Ryan,
  Are you a fit person? If so, start running in the opposite direction of that Cadillac! I say that but I'm old, I guess. When I started my Cadillac project (well over 20yrs ago) my energy was much higher but I regret not just finding a higher level vehicle to start with.....my opinion...walt...tulsa,oktrailer lake 001.JPGtrailer lake 001.JPG 

59-in-pieces

Ryan,

I opened this post and looked over the pictures and my heart skipped a beat.
Why, because the condition of this car has been my cup of tea for years.

And then it hit me, those years ago have left me not so spry to get down and back up form a floor that seems to get further away with each passing year.

So for me - a guy who has always done most of the work myself - the price to buy in, is not the hurdle.
It is however, this old gray horse just aint what he used to be - as Walt seemed to be saying too.

Maybe to a hands on younger guy, this a find, and challenge, worthy to complete.

Good luck and have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Lexi

As the original poster said in his edit, he is not interested in restoring it; but his intention is to sell the car for a buddy and hopefully make a few bucks for both parties. Not sure how much "meat" will be left on the bone for the reasons given in previous comments. As Ken and I noted, probably worth more for parts/donor car. It would be interesting to know what condition some of the Eldo proprietary parts are in, for example, which would have significant impact on it's present value, (and also what may be missing). From this vantage point it is not possible to say. Too many variables. To cite one example, are the sadle moldings both there and if so are they toast, restorable, driver quality? Should replacements be sourced? The list goes on. Sad to say. Clay/Lexi

dinhnguyen57

It's easiest to approach it as a parts car or a donation car.  It's hard to piece it out and sell little pieces of it.  It'll take a lot of time and energy to remove the parts.  And you'll end up with the engine block and chassis and rusted shell that no one will want and it will take up space where you could use to work on your other cars.

I would give it away for free to the first person who can haul it out if there.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

5390john

This Eldo is way too far gone to do anything but give it away to anyone who will take it, hopefully to use as a parts car for a better project. That's the sad truth.
To do a correct restoration of this car is an epic project that will take years and huge $$$, assuming you can find the correct parts, and that I can assure you, is not easy!!

I attached photos of what I started with in 2011, that long ago November day when I pulled "Marilyn" out of the barn and took her to my house to start the project. This car was complete, with all the original interior and exterior chrome trim, original driveline (notice photos of the tranny and engine parts where they were left next to the car!), one owner from new and not hacked up. Not my first restoration project either. I was looking for a hobby and wound up with the defining project of my life!
This was a great car to begin with, and I still spent a little over $100K and 7 years!
That's my two cents.....
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

corey raub

The car has some value.  There is somebody out there who has dreamed of owning one of these cars, but never thought they could afford to purchase one.  Here is one that could prove to be affordable.  Pay the seller 1500 if he has a title and 1000 if he does not.  When you go to sell it shoot for 5000 and work your way down to 2500 if you have to.  Just my 2 cents. 

cadillac ken

I tend to agree with Corey.  Americans are dreamers.  I see it all the time.  Someone will talk themselves into buying this car and believing that they can get it done. 

Most times these buyers are overwhelmed with excitement yet sadly underwhelmed with time, tools, skill, and finances to actually make the dream a reality.  But it's the dream they will buy into.

Truly, good luck and I'm sure someone out there will be excited to get that car to their home.

Lexi

Quote from: cadillac ken on February 09, 2023, 09:01:47 AMMost times these buyers are overwhelmed with excitement yet sadly underwhelmed with time, tools, skill, and finances to actually make the dream a reality.  But it's the dream they will buy into.

Well said. Did it myself some 50 years ago. Big mistake. Learned my lesson. Don't bite off more than you can chew, so to speak. Clay/Lexi

V63

Quote from: cadillac ken on February 09, 2023, 09:01:47 AMI tend to agree with Corey.  Americans are dreamers.  I see it all the time.  Someone will talk themselves into buying this car and believing that they can get it done. 

Most times these buyers are overwhelmed with excitement yet sadly underwhelmed with time, tools, skill, and finances to actually make the dream a reality.  But it's the dream they will buy into.

Truly, good luck and I'm sure someone out there will be excited to get that car to their home.

how many times do we see a project like this advertised with "no price" or a ridiculous price ...and the ad closes with:
 "no dreamers" 🤣✅

...and a dreamer is ➡️ EXACTLY!!! ⬅️ who they are  going to need 🤦🏻�♂️🙄

yj4000

Thank all of you so much! I value your opinions and I feel I have enough information to make a fair offer. I will keep you posted.

Thanks Again, Ryan