News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac V16 scale model

Started by Roger Zimmermann, July 12, 2019, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

From another forum I had a question how I'm doing to indexing the hub and rim at the beginning. Maybe my answer will interest some of you.

First, I'm installing the hub on the tool. Then, I'm searching which holes are a pair. When I have that, I'm doing a dot on the tool with a black marquer; in the first picture, the dot is more or less at 6 o'clock. Then, I'm assembling a pair of spokes (or 2 on the second picture) when the rim is added. When the first pair is installed, I can turn the rim to have the spokes centered; when they are at the place I like, I'm screwing the 3 screws at the outside rim's diameter, preventing it to turn.  After that,  I'm continuing with the first row, then the second, third and fourth. On the third picture, some future spokes are laying next to the tool. They must be bent and filed at the proper length.

By the way, I had an incident during the soldering of the second wheel: one spoke from the first row went out at the hub and I had some difficulties to reinsert it again. For this reason, I modified the tool by carving a groove where the spokes from the first row are emerging. The groove is allowing the spokes to go further into the hub to prevent the incident.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

spolij

Roger do you do work with molds. I'm trying to make a new part for my cruise control. It's a plastic piece with gear teeth on it.
The material i'm working with is not working.

Roger Zimmermann

It's a great difference between a mostly unfunctional scale model and a gear wich must have some physical characteristics. If I had to do a gear, I will not mold it but machine it or let do it with a 3-D printer. I suppose the original part was done with injected plastic into a metal mold.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

All the wheels are done. I still have to add the tire valve; the hole for it is done. On the picture, the back side from two wheels is shown.
During the work, my super tool "Dremel Stylus" went north (or south?): by grinding the spokes at the rear of one wheel, suddenly the machine went full speed, the rotating knob to modify the speed ad no effect and I could not stop the machine! I let it run and run until the battery was empty. I opened it later (I'm curious) and saw, at the speed regulator a black electronic component which has an obvious mark of overheating.
Could be it repaired? Maybe but not by me! I ordered another one.
What's next? I just don't know, there is so much to do!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

57eldoking

Truly outstanding Roger, your skills continue to impress!
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Beautiful, and you are building the model with 6 wheel equipment?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Unbelievable Workmanship !!.....wow just wow !!!

Yes 6 Wheels....gotta have the side-mounts....roads are ruff out there....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Roger Zimmermann

The plan is the following: I'm doing first the frame and engine; I will be busy for some time. If I'm still fit, hood, grille and fenders are coming next. Therefore, the 2 supplementary wheels as side-mount spares.
Thanks for your comments!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The front axle is what I will do next. Usually, live front axles have a section like a H (turned at 90°), but, as it's a casting, the ends towards the wheels are thicker. I'm beginning that simple, but not so easy to do part, with a flat piece of brass. I will add the needed elements more or less like for a Christmas tree (good timing, isn't it?).
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

How to silver solder bushings at the end of the axle with  a hint of precision? I solved the problem by including tabs at each end of the axle and milling a groove into each bushing. The tabs are entering the groove without play, allowing to adjust the correct angle and position before silver soldering.
On the picture, both knuckle pins are ready to be put in service; they are at the right diameter to be without play in the bushings.
I can continue now by putting more "clothes" to the axle.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

This front axle may not be very exciting, but I must do it! I first trimmed the part to be able to silver solder the upper flange of the H (or I) and gave its almost final shape. Now, I'm preparing the parts which will be silver soldered on each side to have the correct thickness. If my explanation is obscure, the picture which will come soon will explain better.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Roger,

I love the way things come together, and yes, sometimes the "excitement" isn't immediately obvious, but it takes small steps to move to ultimate completion.

Having pictures is a wonderful habit to get into, now that we have Digital Cameras, and the more the merrier.   People used to wonder why I took so many pictures, even way back when the cameras only took film in rolls, and even before that, on glass plates.   Without that history, we all would still be using paper and paint with brushes.

Keep them coming, no matter how seemingly small the operation takes to construct.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Indeed, Bruce, I do regret that I did not more pictures when I restored my cars. It was partly a cost factor as I had a camera with a film in roll. On the other side, I don't want to "pollute" the forum with insignificant progress for most viewers.
As you created or restored many cars, you have a different approach!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I also treat the pictures as a Reference Library, and look back on them as one cannot always remember what one did to create something from odd parts.

Plus, when someone wants to see things that they cannot find, someone else will have a picture of that.

At the moment, I am rebuilding some roof jacks for a Ford Skyliner (1959) and as these jacks were built in such a way that they were not meant to be repaired, I am taking pictures of how I am rebuilding them.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

6caddy2

Love your work Mr. Zimmerman, impeccable Sir!!! Just outstanding craftmanship!!! I like the write ups, as reading is good exercise for the brain, the photos of course are a plus too!! They say a photo is worth a thousand words... but without words, what would the photo be worth?! I look forward to your postings of this build, takes me back to when I glued plastic models together as a kid, and thought, wow this great, then to see your hand at work from bone stock brass, to pieces of art!!! Truly a gift from the Gods!

Thank you for your time in posting your work, talent, joy, and probably a few choice words muttered, on this fantastic build!!! Look forward to the next update!!
                     Joe
1962 convertible
1979 Fleetwood brougham d'Elegance
1981 Coupe deVille 368 FI 864
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
SOLD- 1978 sedan deVille

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello Roger:

The wheels have turned out beautifully.  You have
the extraordinary patience and the talent to match. 
I know we're all looking forward to seeing the
continuing progress.  Keep the pictures coming!

Any by the way, best Holidays to you and your
family.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Roger Zimmermann

@ Bruce: knowing your ability to restore things, I have no doubts that these jacks will be functioning again! Those cars are really difficult to maintain properly.

@Joe: It seems that you are appreciating (like others) what I'm doing! Yes, sometimes dirty words are sounding into the flat…My pictures most of the time are helping to understand my sometimes strange explanation!

@ Mike: at first I was not confident about those wheels; when there is a will, there is a result! As a bonus, the holes drilles at curious angles were relatively well positioned.

I can now show what I tried to explain recently. 4 filling pieces were more or less correctly adjusted to the existing axle. To help for the right location during the silver soldering, the pieces were riveted to the axle. Now, I have to trim the assembly to the final shape; the second flange forming the H will be the last part which will be silver soldered. There will be several minor details which will be soft soldered as the are just for the fun.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

The front axle is almost ready. Since the last report, I silver soldered the lower flange, added a sole or shoe (maybe there is a better word) at the location for the front springs, trimmed the whole axle and lastly added the four tiny pieces at each end of the axle. Two will get the grease fitting; the other two are staying closed. These four parts took a long time: I had to drill them, put a pin, drill the axle to accept the pins. Without that, I would not be able to soft solder them at the right place or the one soldered would get misplaced while soldering the one the other side of the axle.
What is missing? Again 2 tiny parts which are acting as a steering stop. Only when the brake shield will be done I will see the exact location; they will be soldered with the same method as the four ones, with a pin.
What is coming next? Logically, the knuckles. Here we go! 
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Again, truly perfection.

I thought I was looking at an original forged axle.   Sometimes parts are just too good to cover up with paint, but it has to be done.

When I purchased my first Full Spool for my Dragster, it was so beautiful that I laughingly said that I should place a clear window in the back of the diff housing, so it could be seen.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe