News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

When Good is Good enough.

Started by Clewisiii, July 11, 2021, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac ken

Two kinds of folks?  "Goal oriented and Process oriented". 

That's the problem with grouping folks.  I build and have built my cars to drive.  They are nice cars and they get their share of bumps and bruises along the road of enjoyment. Yes they are garaged and I take very good care of them.  I have a circle of car guy friends that do the same. My '37 Cadillac will be driven, shared, and enjoyed and I have built it to be enjoyed by me--- not saving it for the next guy.

The key is not to get obsessive about those bumps and bruises along the way.  We built a beautiful '55 BelAir for a gentleman who enjoys driving the car.  His comment was those bumps, bruises, leather creasing, etc. give the car character.  He doesn't sweat it. And of course the car still looks amazing.

If you want to reach a goal as a goal oriented person you most likely need to be just as concerned with the process.  It all depends on your idea of your goal.  Some of us reach higher than others I suppose.

This is in no way a disparaging of those who do a "quickie" on their ride.  But I will say it seems that those who do most times don't seem to see it for what it is-- just a decent driver.  I get worn out by those who put forth almost no effort (spray bomb overspray on the ignition wires while trying to freshen up the engine-- caked grease and all) and then act as if they have a top notch car.  It's the lack of humility I tire of.

Lexi

"Quickies"... My Father, who worked in the Antique restoration business, called some of them "botchers". Often he was tasked with repairing their sloppy "restoration work". Not all "restorers" are created equal. Many collectors are mindful of who will own their car next, therefore preservation is a key factor with them as it is with many who collect other items. I don't have a problem with that. Do some go "overboard" as Ken suggested? Probably. I am a hardcore collector but I like to drive my car and in many respects "Lexi", who is partially restored, also shows her age. Once inspected at a cruise night many will comment on some worn chrome or some crazing in the old lacquer & incredulously ask why that is so. I take it as a compliment as Lexi does look rather good at first glance, but I don't mind what patina is there. As said by Ken's customer, it is character. Many come to expect that all classic cars should look like they just rolled out of a showroom. That is largely an unrealistic expectation for various reasons. Like many car guys I hope that my car will survive and be enjoyed by a future generation. But as Ken stated it is probably best not to get overly obsessive about them. There are certainly more categories of folks in the classic car world and defining them all would be a tough, and perhaps even an alienating task. Clay/Lexi

71 Fleetwood

I would not deign to argue with an Honorary Doctor from the Scuffed Knuckle School of Wrench Twisting. 
Heck, I can barely tell a slotted screwdriver from a flathead.  I do think that I fall into the goal oriented with a dash of daredevil sub-category. 

To this day, I will drive a car to see what breaks.  If the tranny slips a bit I'll drive until I know whether it's light or heavy load that does it.  If a throttle needs feathering to get the car rolling I take that as a challenge to not stall out.  I've driven clutches until the throwout bearing surrenders and smoke fills the car.   

Have you ever driven a car with no steering wheel, just vice grips?  Shifted with a screwdriver?  This kind of stuff was a necessity at 16 years old but now that I can buy anything I miss the "must get this heap to work or I will be fired" days. 

My grown kids won't drive any car that isn't perfect.  They're missing all the fun!
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 71 Fleetwood on July 14, 2021, 06:57:17 PM
Have you ever driven a car with no steering wheel, just vice grips?  Shifted with a screwdriver?  .........   
I purchased a 1955 GM product way back in 1976, and the only way to get it to move was to reach down through a hole that was cut in the floor with a Cold Chisel, and manually operate the shift lever on the side of the transmission.   Luckily it was an automatic.   Took me a couple of days to fit a temporary cable floor shift lever and fold the flap back filling the hole.

But worse was that the fella fitted a Ford Steering wheel on it, and the splines didn't match.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon