News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

First Class SS Delivery v Periodical Mail

Started by Bryan J Moran, November 16, 2022, 10:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

I went to the CLC website to join the club.  I don't own any Cadillacs or old cars. But I have a subscription to Vintage Trucks magazine because I like old trucks.  I prefer a magazine or book, especially seasonally, in the living room or office with coffee or a glass of wine.  I am on the computer enough as it is, prefer not to get my SS this way.

I'll sign up for 2 years and see how it goes. My options are $109 for 1st Class Mail or $79 for "periodical mail".  Not sure I have ever heard of that.  Heck I might go 3 years at $118 for "periodical mail", especially in these inflationary times!

Is there really a huge difference between the 2?  For instance, I typically mail my sold model train items out at USPS by "2 Day Priority" because there is literally no difference in price between that and 1st class, maybe 50 cents. 

I subscribed for one year to Hemmings Classic Cars magazine for $18 and it never arrived damaged, although all they did was place a label on it, and paper quality is fair, it was never damaged.

I could care less about beating someone to an ad selling a Cadillac, I have access to the on-line SS same as everyone and I am not necessarily looking for the typical $35,000 car that shows up in the SS. 

So getting the magazine a week later than others is not important to me.  But having it arrive mangled is.  Still, that's a $30 difference which is owed all to postage and delivery quality and timeliness.   

How do you get your paper SS and have you noticed issues?  I am going to pull the trigger on a new subscription. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hi Bryon,

I get my S/S via Periodical Mail and it is most generally here (in decent shape) by the first, if not before. Sometimes the white cover is smudged or slightly mangled, but if it's too bad, I call Mike Book and get another in a few days. I go year by year, but that's mainly due to my age. At 86, you don't go for too many long term commitments.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Why not Barry?
 The banks were willing to give my dad a 30 year loan when he was 93.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Barry M Wheeler #2189

We had our teeth cleaned this morning, and my tech said, "We have you and Gay all set up  with appointments through 2023. When you come in the first time next year, we'll set you up for 2024..."

(I would like to eventually see the three Great-Grandkids in VA that we've not met yet because of Covid and the airline mess.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bryan J Moran

Thanks Barry!  I will get signed up today. 
CLC 35000 in number only

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bryan,

As I live on the other side of the world, I don't get my copies of the SS sometimes until months have passed.   But, there is only one method for them to arrive.   By expensive air mail.

This year, due to postal issues, the SS has been reaching me, and others in Australia at really odd times.   I received the February issue in mid June, a week after the June issue arrived.   The August issue before getting the July, then two months after getting the August issue, the September Issue came.  My October issue came yesterday.

On the plus side, I have been a Member since 2001, and in that whole time, have only had one issue that suffered any damage, but not worth having replaced.

Bruce. >:D 

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 16, 2022, 07:06:46 PMG'day Bryan,

As I live on the other side of the world, I don't get my copies of the SS sometimes until months have passed.   But, there is only one method for them to arrive.   By expensive air mail.

This year, due to postal issues, the SS has been reaching me, and others in Australia at really odd times.   I received the February issue in mid June, a week after the June issue arrived.   The August issue before getting the July, then two months after getting the August issue, the September Issue came.  My October issue came yesterday.

On the plus side, I have been a Member since 2001, and in that whole time, have only had one issue that suffered any damage, but not worth having replaced.
Bruce. >:D 

It's that aussie post office - they keep scanning the label upside down and it gets routed through alaska and back.   :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Art Director

Bryan, welcome to the CLC! I have been a member continuously since 1994, and I can count on two hands how many issues have been damaged. And, I take it Third Class to judge how long it will take to get to most of the U.S. members.

The magazines are mailed from Jefferson City, MO, so that's pretty close to the center of the U.S.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

David Greenburg

I've been a member since '85, first on the east coast and now on the west coast, and always with the periodical rate, and have almost always received the SS in timely fashion, and very rarely with any damage.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special