News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 series 61

Started by DKelly, April 27, 2022, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKelly

Question: Should the dash be installed before the windshield rubber trim and glass, or after, or dosen't it matter? Also can the headliner be installed after the windshield?
Thanks
DK

Tom Boehm

Hello DKelly, the glass goes in last. The headliner tucks in behind the windshield frame. The dashboard screws are under the windshield frame.

DKelly

Great; Thanks again Tom much appreciated.
DK

DKelly

This is probably a rediculous question/rquest. Is there a laidout wiring harness labeled for this car?
Yes I was born this way.
Thanks
 DK

Tom Boehm

I'm not sure what you are asking. There is a schematic wiring diagram in the service manual. Reproduction wiring harnesses are available for your car from Y n Z, Rhode Island wiring, and others. A new/repro one comes with the terminals labeled and instructions on where they go. I note a hint of frustration in your post. Are you stumped with an electrical problem?

harvey b

I used a wiring harness fron YNz in my 37 60 series,i was amazed at how well it fit,when i had it in place the wires just seemed to fall into the spot they were to go.If you do a new harness,take pictures of the old one before you remove it and take note of where and how it fits around the dash and steering column.They are not cheap,but they are worth every penny.Also we love pictures,got any of your car?. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

DKelly

Thanks for the replys, Tom I'm just not very bright when it comes to elecrical. My harness came in a basket. I was hoping to duplicate it myself. The rear harness is pretty simple. The previous owner added wires or spliced some I think. I will have to wing it when it comes to routing. I was hoping for someone to have one laid out like i have labled, I knew it was a long shot. I am keeping the car 6v and am very confused with the wire color, the wires all seem to be the same color and different guages. My thumbnail pic is what the car use to look like, it is gutted now I am doing a frame off restoration. I have put the body back on and painted some parts and door jams. Trying to pull the trigger for a headliner, got a sample from the company everyone seems to complain about, hense my hesitation to pull the trigger. I would be truley lost if it was not for this site and you guys who respond to my posts,thanks again.

Tom Boehm

My advice would be to buy a reproduction wiring harness and save money somewhere else. Especially if you are not electric savy. The original correct wiring colors won't be faded or dirty on the new one. Each terminal will be labeled on the new one  with instructions as to where they go.

My philosophy on restoration is do not skimp on things that need to be done when the car is apart. These things are more difficult and more expensive to to again later when the car is together. For example, make chrome your last priority to spend money on because that is the easiest thing to take off and do after the restoration is complete.

Tom Boehm

Also, did you check out www.hirschauto.com for headliner fabric? They have a lot of fabric appropriate for pre war cars on the website.

DKelly

Thanks for the replys
DK

Artistic Precision

Caddy Daddy's website, and Steele Rubber, or Rubber the Right way may have some rubber options for you and maybe a few other things, not much tho.

DKelly

Last bothersome post for awhile. Can someone point me to a service manual or chart that tells me the wire guage and color code for this car. I can't see the tracer color on the wire. I have someone who will make a harness for me, I guess the guage and what it's for is the important one. I think I read somewhere that a color service manual exists, but my 70 year old brain dosen't retail much anymore.
Thanks
DK

harvey b

Rockauto has the copy of the shop manual,the wires are hard to tell apart,colorwise.I made one for my 37 wgen i first restored it,i was able to score an aftermarket harness a couple of years later,we did use the original one as a guide,there is a lot of wire in them,the wiring diagram is not to scale,it just shows where they go,not how they fit?. good luck with it. harveyb
Harvey Bowness

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tom Boehm

I have not heard of a color service manual for '39 and '40 Cad/Lasalle. On the other hand I did not know the colored wiring diagrams existed either like in a previous response. That is just what you asked for but they don't list one for 1939 Cadillac. I can't say if 1938 or 1940 would be useful.

35-709

Hmmm, did not look carefully enough to see the '39 isn't listed --- I would give them a call  (888)606-5319
and see what they have to say.  I have gotten diagrams from them for a '42 Cadillac and a '50 Packard.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The 39 shop manual will get you most of it.  There is a general connection diagram and then spread out in various illustrations the gauge and tracing colors are noted at connection points.  Takes some work because it is not all on one drawing.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

DKelly

Thanks for the replys.
Brad, Which manual are you referring to, I see a couple of different one cheap and not so cheap.
Will this one work from rock?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1939,series+61,5.7l+346cid+v8,123898,literature,repair+manual,10335

35-709, Thanks, I have called them and am waiting for a response.
DK

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Cadillac LaSalle Shop Manual 1939.  This is a reprint of the original.  Originals have much better pictures and are worth it when you compare the price to everything else you will be buying.  Body manuals are not real good for 39 but anything helps.  The next thing to purchase is a parts book.  CLC Authenticity Manual has a lot of info in it.  Not just judging info. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

DKelly

Can anyone tell me how the fuel sending unit wire is run?
Thanks
DK