News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Any do's don'ts shipping a 67 SDV to New Zeland?

Started by TD Alex, September 06, 2022, 09:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TD Alex

Howdy, if you are reading this and have actual/real knowldege?  I am researching sending my 1967 Sedan to New Zeland.  I'm right by the port in Ft Lauderdale.  However, given my experince with different types of equipment shipping.  I'm thinking rail car it to the port of LA in Newport beach, Calif.  Then shipping in a container.  If you are reading this and have shipped a car to New Zealand and can give my the benefit of your experince?  I will be very open to what you have to say.  Along with blessing your children...

Curious to read, TD
1967 Sedan DeVille
2007 Jaguar XK Conv
1998 Land Rover Range Rover
1992 Alfa Romeo 164LS
1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
1985 Cadillac Eldorado
1972 Chevorlet Caprice Classic Convertable
1972 Buick Electra Custom Limited
1970 1/2 Volkswagon Karmen Ghia Convertable
1967 Ford LTD
1967 Volkswagon Micro Bus step thru
1965 Volkswago Fastback

Jay Friedman

10 years ago I shipped a Ford to NZ from the Atlanta area.  A truck took it from my home to a shipping agent in the Los Angeles area.  It was then loaded into a container.  The ship took the container to Auckland from where it was trans-shipped to a second ship which took it to Christchurch. 

Make sure all your paper work is in order.  US Customs needs proof of your ownnership in the form of a title. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TD Alex

Thanks that sounds pretty cut n dry.  Nothing out of the ordinary.
1967 Sedan DeVille
2007 Jaguar XK Conv
1998 Land Rover Range Rover
1992 Alfa Romeo 164LS
1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
1985 Cadillac Eldorado
1972 Chevorlet Caprice Classic Convertable
1972 Buick Electra Custom Limited
1970 1/2 Volkswagon Karmen Ghia Convertable
1967 Ford LTD
1967 Volkswagon Micro Bus step thru
1965 Volkswago Fastback

tozerco

Hi,

I haven't shipped to NZ but I have shipped to Oz and you need to make sure that, if you are sending by container, the shipper somehow isolates the clamps that they use on the tyres of the car from the floor of the container. The constant backwards-and-forwards movement from the sea destroyed a full set of whitewalls on my car when the clamps "worked"away at the sides of the tyres. I think chaining the chassis of the car down inside the container would be a better method of securing the car in the container.
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

The Tassie Devil(le)

What I did was to build rails out of 2" RHS, and install loops to wrap the lashings that go over the top of the wheels with the tyres removed.   Nothing moved.

The original '72 Caddy wheels and tyres are up on the mezzanine floor with the rest of the parts that came off the '71 Convertible I stripped.

None of the steel work was welded to the container, just sat tightly within the sides and front and back.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

benx13

Hi there

Ive shipped a couple cars to New Zealand, as I live here. Both from CA however was told rail was a good way to get things to CA

As for stacking it in the container- this is done by the company.
They have staff who fill the containers their way.

If you need any help with anything this side of the hemisphere im happy to do so
1951 Series 62 - Under restoration

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Spelling the name of the destination country correctly for the shipper would be on the top of my "do" list...  :-*
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

MeToo

Are you selling the car to a New Zealand based owner or moving to New Zealand? NZ has a bunch of requirements for importing left had drive cars: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/

If you're selling it to an NZ based owner, then its still relevant so you know what paperwork to provide with the car.