News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Production numbers?

Started by cadwoman, September 26, 2022, 04:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Sue, did you buy Doug's? I saw it in 1965 sitting quietly in a dark corner.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

harry s

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on September 29, 2022, 10:46:58 PMHarry, tomorrow, get in the back, pull up the jump seats and see if you find any trace of the original carpeting up against the divider that might be un-faded by the sun like I did with my 6733. (Just for fun...Inquiring minds want to know.)

Barry, The carpeting was missing when I had the interior of mine done. There was very little of the interior just enough for patterns.
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Carfreak

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on September 30, 2022, 12:04:58 PMSue, did you buy Doug's? I saw it in 1965 sitting quietly in a dark corner.

Nope but Doug did share a pic of his car with me. 

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Carfreak

Funny thing, I live in a rural area - 36 sq miles, NO GAS STATIONS and about 5k residents.  There was another 42 Series 67 less than a mile away from us. 

We test drove it and made an offer but he wanted more than we felt it was worth. 

The car  was subsequently for sale online; the pics were taken on the owner's property. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

cadwoman

Hi everyone!  I got the info from Allied Vaughn this morning:

1941 S6719.pdf

It doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.  And also does not show the "F" for the division window. 
I also asked them if they might be able to tell me how many of these they built in Antoinette Blue, to see if that might be it.  They forwarded my request to the GM Heritage Center, but they came back and said that the archive does not have that information for 1941. 

So I guess we may never know!  :( 

But I really appreciate all of the feedback!  Thanks, everyone! 
Lauren

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Lauren,
We did learn something. The car left the factory as a NON division car! The data plate was correct. So.... sometime AFTER the car was was built, a division was installed. I'd suggest you make that crystal clear. Good Luck.
Bob

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Lauren, with all due respect to Mr. Hoffmann's encyclopedic knowledge, I owned the car identical to this. He is basing his conclusion that the division window was custom on the lack of one letter on a data plate. And from the data plate on my Imperial, the Fleetwood shop evidently didn't quite know what to do with the Series 67 at all, because that data plate said Body By Fleetwood, not Fisher. If they could make that major of a mistake, leaving the "F" off would rank as a minor blip on a day's work.

The car is rare enough with being only one of 95. Since you could still order the 6719F, it makes a lot more sense to conclude that the data plate simply didn't have the "F" on it as that division was a very, very complicated installation, especially with the curved glass.

A custom shop would most likely have "convinced" the owner to put in a flat glass."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

With all respect to you also  Barry. Sorry, but I don't buy your mistake theory. On the data plate maybe, on the records no. How about this scenario? Tall guy has a 6719F. No front leg room. He finds a cheap 6719 in a  used car lot. He does a total front seat switch & sells the donor car with the division. That's how I would do it. The curved glass requires no guide rails or header.
 Bob

dochawk

oof!

Last year at the Mecum auction, I was dispatched to drive a 1937 V-12 limousine.

Immovable front seat; *all* of the room was saved for the owners in back.

I'm not sure a 5' driver would have been comfortable.  At 6'2", I had to hold my thighs up in the air, off the seat, to hover over the pedals.

Smooth ride, but I cringed in sympathy for this hypothetical tall guy  . . .

IMG_0164.1280.jpeg
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

cadwoman

I did some more research and found another 1941 Series 67 listing.  I'll put the link below.  This one is the 6733 (the 7-passenger).  This one also has the division window, but also no F on the data plate.

I really don't believe that it would have been an easy enough switch to be common practice. 

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1424159/1941-cadillac-series-67-for-sale-in-morgantown-pennsylvania-19543

harry s

The 6733 designation includes the divider window and jump seats. In this instance it would not have the "F" following the model number. I have the same problem with driver comfort. As Bob suggested I considered removing the divider window bulkhead and using a standard seat with tracks for adjusting. I even had a parts car to supply the parts but then figured it wouldn't be a limo anymore.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I think I have mentioned that the 41-6733 did not have an adjustable (or very little) front seat. My 41-6719F did have an adjustable front seat. There was a space between the top of the seat back and the bulkhead which was covered with upholstery fabric, being tacked to the bulkhead and the top of the seat.

If the seat was moved forward, this piece of material was nearly taut between the top of the seat and the bulkhead. If the seat was moved to the rear, the material sagged down some. This is how the STOCK 6719F division was installed from the factory.

If you have been in the old car hobby for any length of time, you will have heard many war stories relative to the rarity of certain cars. Usually this is done to add value to the car, or merely reflects pride of ownership. That the owner took a great deal of pride in the auto we have been discussing is beyond question.

It would be nice to pin it down and find out for certain why the owner was told that fact, and the new owner may, or may not choose to continue the legend. One fact remains: It is a beautiful automobile.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: cadwoman on October 05, 2022, 02:53:48 PMI did some more research and found another 1941 Series 67 listing.  I'll put the link below.  This one is the 6733 (the 7-passenger).  This one also has the division window, but also no F on the data plate.

I really don't believe that it would have been an easy enough switch to be common practice. 

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1424159/1941-cadillac-series-67-for-sale-in-morgantown-pennsylvania-19543

Unfortunately this doesn't help much because the F suffix wasn't used in the 6733 body style number.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadwoman

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to write one last note about this Series 67. 

None of us were ever able to find out why the previous owner claimed it was a 1 of 4 car, and none of us were able to find out why the car has a division window but does not have an F on the data plate. 

The auction vehicle viewing started on Thursday last week, and we were there to look at several cars.  We saw the Series 67 sitting out in the lot in a fairly prominent spot, and she looked fabulous!  I got to spend some time looking her over closely and my humble opinion is that she was built with the division window.  I saw no evidence to the contrary. The condition of the materials in the rear compartment were a bit sad, as there were many places where the material seemed to be disintegrating.  But other than that, she has weathered the years very well. 

When the auction was about 10-15 lot numbers prior, I went outside to see if I could hear the car run.  Oh my!  She was purring like a kitten.  I expressed my joy to auction employee driving it and he asked me if I wanted to drive it.  YES YES YES!   So, I got to drive it just a tiny bit down the parking lot, and I was in heaven.  What an amazing car.  And also, the division window was all the way up now, which it wasn't before, so I guess it works!  When it pulled up to the block, it looked so stately and elegant.  And the auctioneer did a great job of trying to relay how special the car was.  The family was there near the block, taking video of the auction on their phones, so you could tell that it had been a special car in their family.  However, the bidding was pretty slow and only got up to $26,000 which did not meet the reserve. 

Unfortunately, I did not find out what the reserve was or get a chance to chat with the family.  I can only hope that somehow, someway, this beautiful car will end up in a loving new home! 

Thanks to all of you for your input on this,
Lauren

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Lauren,

Thank you for sharing your experience of driving the car.

Sounds like the car is definitely suffering from the ravages of time with regard to the interion condition.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

I thought this had all been resolved by Harry Scott back in Reply #31.

"The 6733 designation includes the divider window and jump seats. In this instance it would not have the "F" following the model number. I have the same problem with driver comfort."
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2