News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Eldorado Convertible $10,000 obo

Started by Bryan J Moran, December 02, 2022, 12:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/537913581213346

NOT a dealer offered vehicle

Seller's Description
1974 Eldorado- 500 C.I. Engine- runs and drives great- newer shocks- my father only drove this car in parades for the last 25 years- the CANVAS CONVERTIBLE TOP NEEDS REPLACED as it has holes in it- asking $10,000 OBO - Best offer buys this car

Any idea what that color is?  I can't tell. 

CLC 35000 in number only

Bryan J Moran

The white front seat is clearly worn but the car is somewhat local to me.  I am in central Iowa, Des Moines Iowa suburb, and Letts, where this car is listed as from, is my old ancestral area of southeast Iowa.  I have messaged the seller to see if I can view the car. 

I am wary of 1970's Eldorado convertibles.  I worry that a 75,000 mile car is like a 150,000 mile car in terms of nickel and diming and failed components.   There seem to be a fair amount of them available. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Jw4

Ah, the good old Iowa fields...
This could be a good car for the price, if the floors, etc., are still there.  8)
Ivan Beliaev

Bryan J Moran

Made initial contact.  Obviously the car has some issues. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Jw4

Please let us know how that inspection goes. And please take pictures  ;)
Ivan Beliaev

James Landi

Bryan,  I owned a 72---this generation of Eldorados are durable cars, and if nothing on the drive train and engine have been abused, they keep on going.  In some ways, they are unremarkable-- with the tires inflated to GM specs (in the low 20 psi) they are smooth, full framed and heavy, but they depend on the self leveling to drive correctly  (work a round or helper springs).  The brakes are excellent, and one has the impression of watching a movie rather than driving a car. Likely needs climate control work along with a top--- some of the vinyl on the door panels are subject to ugly cracks.  I think the 73 and 74 are mighty attractive, and who can resist a red Cadillac convertible? I suspect that price is likely an ask

V63

Appears to have had the seats replaced? Swapped with later model.

Interesting because on the deville they offered the 1975 seat sew pattern later production specifically for the spring plaid seat selection.

Gene Beaird

Quote from: James Landi on December 02, 2022, 09:02:22 PMBryan,  I owned a 72---this generation of Eldorados are durable cars, and if nothing on the drive train and engine have been abused, they keep on going.  In some ways, they are unremarkable-- with the tires inflated to GM specs (in the low 20 psi) they are smooth, full framed and heavy, but they depend on the self leveling to drive correctly  (work a round or helper springs).  The brakes are excellent, and one has the impression of watching a movie rather than driving a car. Likely needs climate control work along with a top--- some of the vinyl on the door panels are subject to ugly cracks.  I think the 73 and 74 are mighty attractive, and who can resist a red Cadillac convertible? I suspect that price is likely an ask

All of this.  My parents had friends who owned a 74 Eldo and CDV, and I got to drive both to my and my girlfriend's prom (we went to different schools).  The Eldo was a bright red over white vert, and was a truly amazing car to drive. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

benji808

Looks like a nice car. Assuming it indeed "runs and drives great", and there is minimal rust, I think $6k - $8k would be fair for it to be used as a decent driver...that top could cost $2k - $3k to get repaired/replaced professionally, and if it's only been driven for parades then there is a risk of worn out parts and rubber that hasn't been taken care of due to minimal driving. Would be interesting to examine the interior and undercarriage in person...

V63

The color appears to be "terra cotta", a featured color in 1974.