News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Good practice

Started by fishnjim, February 21, 2023, 08:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Everyone seems to get it about tires, hoses, and other rubber based parts having a "shelf life" / functional problem after a decade or so.   Even though there still is a cadre of "originalists" that like/cherish petrified.   
The rubber valve stem/core, on your tubeless rims is also rubber based and will degrade just the same and lead to leakage or failure.   
Have them changed when you buy new tires. They slip in from behind so best with the tire off.   Most good shops will do it routinely, but don't insist on keeping it original here, if you don't want problems down the road.
I had one rot and "fall off" on my other project car up on rollers in the garage.  I put scrap tires on it where they wouldn't pump up and hold to work on it, and it's been sitting and no one knows how old some of those are, maybe original, but I doubt but certainly 20 on.
ps: I used to hate this, when I'd bring my custom wheels in with the chrome accents, and they'd replace them with a black rubber new one and not return the chrome parts.  A good shop will put them back on.