News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Topside" creepers

Started by fishnjim, February 21, 2023, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

I don't promote products or brands, I like to maintain independency.  I'll take advantage of offers or sales, when afforded.   
More than two decades ago, I bought a 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel P/U because of where I lived, traveling far for tournaments, and fish'n several times a week.   The river launch ramps are often subject to water fluctuations, steepness, slipperiness, etc so I needed the 4X4.   But it was a pain to access the engine compartment from the ground, just to change the filters or check the fluids.   I contemplated getting one of these then, but was younger and could crawl up in there, if needed, and wasn't very frequent.   When the '07 Cad came off lease, I needed another tow vehicle, so I bought a 2X for down here, mostly lakes.   It's not as bad/high and I sold the other one, so I really didn't need one for the trucks anymore which they were designed for.
It's been getting hard to work on the '58 leaning over the fat fenders at my age, even after major weight loss, and I was having trouble reaching in this winter, even with a step stool.  I caught a sale around the holidays and got one with discount and free shipping.
It's nice, stable, and even with car on the jack stands, it scoots right in under the open hood.  So if your having these issues, there's solutions out there.   
Today, I was working on the boat and it's very difficult to access the back battery compartment on this model, short rear deck.  Bent over on my arthritic knees, so I rolled out the topside and it fit right over the side rails with boat on the trailer.   Saved my knees and back. 
We can't get a new younger body, so have to use what's available to keep us going.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

They are a nice tool to have around....Like you said Jim, especially as we get older.

The only draw back is that they're hard to store out of the way when not in use....They're like a big piece of furniture...

There are other styles you can buy, some slide further under the car and get you higher and deeper over the fenders...

I can't believe I posted these pictures here 9 years ago !

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

TJ Hopland

I have had one of the larger ones than whats in the above picture.  Mine is the larger type that is more like a step ladder diving board sort of thing.  It doesn't go low enough to work on a car that is on the ground but I have used it with a car on ramps. Didn't take long at all to get used to working with it.  Biggest downside is as mentioned, even 'folded' it takes up a decent amount of space. I actually leave mine set up with the platform raised and park under it.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200360239_200360239
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bobrich47

Mike, what brand is your creeper & where did you buy it? Do you like that style?  Thanks, Bob.
Bob Richards

fishnjim

Mine folds up, pretty flat, but I keep it open.  Certainly not as much space as my car twirler takes.   I just roll it under one of the other cars where I keep the floor jacks.  It's not ideal, if you don't have space, and why I postponed purchase a long time, but happy I got it now. 
There's different models and the one I got goes down to the lowest height available, which is goldie locks.  Mine does not have the angle adjustment.  I don't think I'll ever need to raise it up.  Like I said, they're made for high trucks.  I don't recall the model name, but I can look it up but view on the web site, it is the same as the one pictured above. 
If it's not "big" it won't be stable, so a trade off.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: bobrich47 on February 21, 2023, 09:33:09 PMMike, what brand is your creeper & where did you buy it? Do you like that style?  Thanks, Bob.

I'm not sure where I got this creeper, I purchased it 10 plus years ago. Doing a simple google search, I can't even find another one like it.

It does have some pluses and minuses. Take a look at my pictures I took today. The good thing is it sets up lower than the truck creepers that are available today.

But as I get older, I would like the legs of the creeper to go further under the car so the upper body pad can be extended out further over the motor. Right now the upper pad supports the stomach area, I'd like it at mid chest so both my hands and arms would be free.

The creepers available today have the right supports but are made for pickup trucks. They would have to be modified to bring the upper support pad lower for our cars.

In the pictures I set up next to a 1969 Eldorado and then a 1953 Buick. Two different body styles that cover cars from the early 1950s? thru the 2000s? The thick fenders of the 1953 and the thinner fender of the 1969. You can see why it would be nice to have that upper pad support your chest and not your waist.

You can see in my first pictures in the beginning of this thread, it isn't very good with the 1929 Roadster or probably any of the pre-war cars because of the big balloon fenders. It would need that modification to both the lower legs and the upper support pad.

One of the pictures I took shows how high that upper pad can be extend upwards on mine.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Oh wow. I was just standing on a milkcrate and leaning on a big wad of towels on the fender to work on something yesterday.
I think I like these.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on February 23, 2023, 06:56:06 PMOh wow. I was just standing on a milkcrate and leaning on a big wad of towels on the fender to work on something yesterday.
I think I like these.
Jeff R

LOL !!    I hope it was Bounty the quicker picker upper...

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

David Greenburg

I have been known to use a milk crate and a couple of old throw pillows that I just flop down on. I also use those pillows in the trunk if I have to get in there to reach wires or trim screws. Or take a nap.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

I remember seeing that style for sale too but can't find it now either.  I do remember it seeming like it was only one or maybe two vendors, more of a specialty sort of thing like Eastwood.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

fishnjim

Mine is a "NXT Gen 3" by Traxion.  It's a bit lower than the one above. 
I'd been using a step stool and moving pads, and the pads always shift.  If you lay tools down without covers, scratch city.   I never liked the fender covers, they get dirty and the same issue with paint finish.
Like I say I'm not advertising or promoting, just passing on info that's helped me.