News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoring original paint

Started by Cadillac1967inthenorth, February 26, 2023, 09:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on February 27, 2023, 11:34:35 PMHow do you apply this #7? By hand? Buffer?
Our 55 has original paint but I am afraid to be to aggressive.
I like the idea of letting it sit for 24 hours to moisten the paint-- I can get ours to shine, but it goes away after a few days.
Jeff R

Depending on how dried, it may take more than a single 24 hour application. In my case, it took several before the paint became stable enough to retain its shine without hazing over. As the others have said, application is by hand when used as a pre-conditioner. I also recommend No 7 to be used by hand after compounding and swirl removal done by machine, followed up by carnauba wax. I still have to learn about the later ceramic coatings.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

sbartelski

The suggestions to leave for 24 hours are correct, that is a trick that I learned from a YouTube (I think) by Wayne Carini. He also suggests using a terry (cotton) cloth to remove the caked on #7. This cuts the hardened #7 better than a micro-fiber cloth, without attacking the paint. Best to use new cloths and then dispose of them or give to your spouse for cleaning in house (after washing).

I use this method on my original paint 1951 about once a year and it shines up beautifully. I do add a layer of quality carnauba wax for protection. Has anyone tried ceramic coating on lacquer paint?
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

Lexi

Quote from: sbartelski on February 28, 2023, 09:46:35 AMHas anyone tried ceramic coating on lacquer paint?

I have used ceraminc coating (Mothers) on my car's lacquer paint for several years. For my first application I did a "cut and buff" and the car had never looked better. Never. Shine outlasted wax in my opinion. Usually apply it once in the spring and once in the fall prior to parking for the season. I also do touch up (clean bug splats and bird dirt), and it works quite good. Now that I am probably 4 years in, I see some of the oddities coming back into the original finish, (cloudy and not as deep looking) as if it needs another cut and buff which I would prefer not to do, (don't want to be agressive to the ancient paint). I have not yet read the above attached article or used Meguiars #7, but my first question is this superior to ceramic coating? Not sure. Perhaps this treatment, then cap off with ceraminc coating which can be used to maintain the finish? Will the old paint look eventually show up again? Ceraminc coating covered it until last year or so. Any thoughts on this? Any A - B comparisons out there? Clay/Lexi

signart

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 27, 2023, 02:42:38 AMYesterday, I tried to buy a bottle #7. It seems that it's not available in Europe! I did not try to buy from a US retailer; it can be that the shipping is not possible. Anyway, I will try.

Reach out to Mequiar's, they are helpful and will respond.
htts://www.meguiars.ch/
Art D. Woody

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: signart on February 28, 2023, 12:06:27 PMReach out to Mequiar's, they are helpful and will respond.
htts://www.meguiars.ch/

I have sent a message to then and one answer. Then they stop answering

scotth3886

Maybe Meguiar's 105 first but be careful to tape edges so you don't burn through.  Especially, if you're using a rotary.  I learned on a rotary back in the early 60s so I'm used to it and still use it. Then polish of some sort.  I've used Meguiar's No 7 for years or maybe decades. Then the wax or 'coating' of your choice.  Ask 100 peeps and get 100 different answers.

Roger Zimmermann

It seems that the #7 is no more produced and has been replaced by another product called Show car glaze; a small "7" is on the bottle. This is the reason why the original is no more available in Europe.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 01, 2023, 02:20:08 AMIt seems that the #7 is no more produced and has been replaced by another product called Show car glaze; a small "7" is on the bottle. This is the reason why the original is no more available in Europe.

Thanks! Do you have a link to that product?

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I found this thread to be good because mine has original paint.
For what it's worth, I emailed Meguiar's and had an email dialog with one of their techs.
I'm going with #7.
I ordered a bottle last night on Amazon. Cheaper than anywhere else -- And that's what my wife gets foe giving me the Prime password.
Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on March 02, 2023, 09:48:48 AMI found this thread to be good because mine has original paint.

Nice! Let us know how it works on your car.