News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac Convertible parts compatibility ?

Started by 428street, May 17, 2023, 09:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

428street

I just bought a 1961 Convertible in pretty rough shape.  My plan is to get her running and driving and enjoy it...no major resto....a long road...my question is are any other years compatible parts wise with the 61?

billyoung

Congratulations and welcome!, Please post some photos of your new car. Also if you post a clear photo of the aluminum plate under the hood on top of the firewall we will decode your car for you. The 390 cu. in. Engine and Hydromatic transmission was essentially the same from 1959 thru 1962 as well as the rest of the drive line to the rear. I actually have fitted 1962 front fenders to a 1961 many many years ago. It is not advisable. Again welcome.
Age 69, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Exactly which items are you looking to replace?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

428street

LOL, I have to figure out how to post pics...the car is rough for sure, probably being reasonable a parts car but we'll see...thanks for the responses...

I need a hood, trunk lid and DS front fender as starters :)

Warren Rauch #4286

You should get a copy of the Hollander Manual from about 1964-65. It will tell you what major parts can be used from other cars and years, Cadillac or other makes. Most parts will only be Cadillac,so a Cadillac Parts book  1964 or newer  (1965 is a year of major changes) would give more detailed information. Don't go much newer than 1965 as some trim was only available for a short time.
Warren

Caddyholic

Hood is unique, trunk lid is unique, fenders interchange with 62 but need to use 62 top trim or modify for 61 trim.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Carfreak

Congrats on your 'new' car. Another source of interchange info is the Master Parts Catalog.  FYI, hearse, ambulance and limo fenders won't work on your car.

The CLC Modified Chapter has Illustrated Parts List and Master Parts Catalogs in their Documents section along with many 1000s of other pages of tech, sales and other info. 

https://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/

https://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Multiple_Years/

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Lexi

Great tip with a lot of fantastic resource information. Clay/Lexi

428street

Thank you everyone for the responses.  They are all appreciated and I will start ordering some of these catologs...I have so many projects on deck it's crazy....I also just bought a 1960 Cadillac Eldorado, 2 door, again in rough shape but I know it's rare...for whatever that is worth :)