News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"functional" clear V8 models still built?

Started by dochawk, May 18, 2023, 07:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

I recall that there were see-through functional V8 model kits in the 70s.

Now I'd sure like to find one as an exercise in understanding all the parts and how they function.

My hunting hasn't been particularly sucessful?

Does anyone know of any that are still available?  I would want working cam, pistons, and valves (at a minimum).

bonus points if it's clearly a Cadillac v8!   ;D
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

J. Skelly

There is speculation in the model car community that Atlantis Models
may have gotten the tooling for this kit when Revell-Monogram went
through bankruptcy a few years ago.  It wasn't listed on their website.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

badpoints

I built that same model back in 1996. I found it in an old hobby shop in Lynn Ma. I ran a diesel engine lab for a start up company spun off from MIT.
I had that model on my desk for years. Everybody played with it. It is in rough shape now in my garage. My son bought a newer version last year and we built it during a ski trip.
We might have bought it at Walmart. It has a battery that spins the engine.

dochawk

oooooh . . . yes, that looks like what I remember.

And searching from what I found there, it seems that it may well be in production.

Here it is on amazon, for a few bucks less and without $25 shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-85-8883-Visible-Plastic-12-Inch/dp/B00004YUXS
It refers to 8 in stock, and more "on the way" from this seller.\

hmm, someone should start a pool on how long it takes me to justify spending eighty bucks on this instead of one of my real cars . . . (don't bet too high! undefined - Imgur.gif)

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)