News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

12v motors

Started by densie 20352, December 27, 2004, 03:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

densie 20352

In the continuing battle to keep doing my hobby despite my injury, Im planning to build a motorized platform to put an engine hoist on.  Gross weight of this contraption will probably be #1000-1200, but most of the time it will just be used to carry parts around.

What sort of DC motor could I use to power it?  Im thinking of one from a 3-way hearse, but Im not sure that its hefty enough.  A starter motor probably wouldnt work either, because its made for quick bursts of torque and not continuous power.

A new motor would be cost-prohibitive.  Any other ideas on something that I could pull from a junkyard?

thanks

-densie

Phil Taylor

Well lets turn this thing into a MPWTHIT (Multi-Purpose, What The Heck Is That) Vehical.  All Kidding aside, An Electric Golf Cart Frame and Drive Train, with a "Tommy-Lift" modified to the rear end would give you a good moble base. Old Tommy-Lifts" are all over the yards off P/Us with a load cap of 2K.  And think with 48v DC power available and lots of Amps you can even do some light welding.  If it can haul our Big Bubba Greens Sup around da Hills of TN, who by the way, equals 2 Engine Blocks w/ cranks & pistons, Im sure moving stuff around the yard would be like Dying and going to Golf Cart Heven.

FYI - If ya mess around with the switching a little it will run at 30 mph - A little unstable, bad brakes, bad oversteer and a death wish included No Warrenties - Phil

densie 20352

Yknow....

As ridiculous a time as I have had trying to find a used riding mower in Tucson, it would probably be just as ridiculously EASY to find a golf cart here!  hahaha

Actually, I am just about finished constructing what I call "Mister Crane", and it meets every one of the original specs, except  for being towable as a trailer.  I did put a 5000# folding towbar on it, but I wouldnt take it over about 20 mph on its 10" dolley wheels.  Besides, its quite capable of pulling itself into the back of a truck, with a set of ramps.

Im just finishing up the self-propelled part.  I took two winches, removed the cables, and did some creative friction treatment to the drums, which just happen to fit perfectly over the tires.  I clamped one of them on with a big C-clamp yesterday and drove it around the patio...its pretty cool.  I just need to drill some holes and bolt them on, and make some shims to adjust them.

I used it to remove an intake manifold from my Deville the other day.  I didnt even have to break the gaskets loose, just hit the button and Mr. Crane pulled it right off, swung around and put it in the back of my truck.  (And Stampie, I will get it boxed up for ya soon)  ;)

Harbor Freight had 250# magnets on sale, so I bought one of those for it.  Now it can walk around the floor and pick up my tools for me.

I think Im going to keep adding stuff to Mister Crane until it can do just about anything I want to do...then before I die, Ill have my brain implanted into it.

-densie