News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rotor cap position

Started by Bruce L. Wiley, January 10, 2005, 02:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce L. Wiley

With #1 in TDC and the balancer on the timing mark, where should the rotor be pointing. In know it is "at #1". The question is, should the rotor be pointing directly to the back for #1 and directly to the front on #6. The shop manual refernces this a couple of times, but it is unclear. Currently, at #1 TDC, the rotor is pointing to the back and towards the drivers side at about the 2 oclock position. Im thinking that if the distributor is a tooth or two off, this may cause the problem as well.

densie 20352

Its only a problem if Mister Timing Light says that you need to move your distributor a little more and the vacuum advance is already up against something.

If you have the rotor pointing to number 1 and the vacuum advance is about in the middle between the two things that will stop it from turning at each end of its travel (one of them is usually the A/C compressor), it should be fine.

-densie

Jim Hughes cLc#17388

Hello Bruce, According to a Motor,s manual I have, the distributor should be installed so that when the cap is in place, the screw holding the cap on between numbers 5 and 6 wires is slightly past the center line of the motor toward the right side of the car. Number one plug wire is located just to the left of the screw that holds the cap on on the firewall side of the distributor. Therefore the rotor contact should face the firewall, but a little left of center when the number one piston is at top dead center and the points are almost completely open.
I will try to send you a diagram and discription of distributor set up according to the Motors book. Hope this helps. Jim

Bruce L. Wiley

In the manual Jim showed, it says to time at #1, then time at #6 and split the variance in relation to the mark. I have never heard of that two step operation before. Interesting. I will try it tonight.

Tim Lewis

GM recommeded that procedure for some of its early TBI 4 cylinders.  Time on 1, then 4, split difference.  I believe they are trying to split the variation in timing chain slop.  Never heard of it on anything else, but it cant hurt.